Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
okay????
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

Steven really described it best.

The problem is most people don't understand that when they have a "2ohm stable" stereo amp..this is the rating for stereo..not bridged mono. So this rating means you can connect 2-2ohm loads in stereo to it...or a 4ohm load bridged to it..really not that complicated.

Now with a mono block amp the rating is not stereo..a mono amo can never be stereo..so if it is one ohm stable..you can hook a one ohm load to it.  The rule of thumb is you will loose up to half the power has you double the ohms..but you can never go below the ohms rating of the amp or it will go into protection..overheat...basically be a mess until something gives.

now with voice coil wiring it is tricky for some people to grasp the concept so I will attempt to simplify.

Simply put..no matter how many voice coils a speaker has..you need to think of it has just one speaker..where by how we decide to wire the coils (series or parallel) will determine its final load.  The amp does not see each coil individually..it sees the final load only.  basic ohms law...if you series the voice coils..you add them together to get the final load. If you parallel them..since they are the same value each coil..you just divide.

Then regardless of svc..or dvc..or how many subs...you need to make sure when you wire them to the amp..weather series or parallel..mono or stereo...that we do not present a load to the amp that is below it's rating. Having multiple DVC subs, and stereo amps that can be ran stereo or bridged..gives us plenty of flexibility for wiring configurations to get the most out of the amp/sub setup without destroying anything.

That about sums the simplification.

jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

Exactly.  The combination of the subs quantity and wiring of voice coils just presents a final effective resistatance to the amp.  An amp still sees 4ohms NOT 2 ohms when bridged as steven described

mike12volt, there is nuthing wrong with bridging front speakers, its just not as common as bridging for a subwoffer.  Depening on the distortion rating on the amps and the impedance of the front speakers, and the quality of SQ required will tell if its sutiable to bridge the fronts

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
In my case the efficency or power rating of amps does not change with resistance cofiguration as long as it is in 1.5-8ohm load. It may be an exception to JL/Series brand or there are other amps that would do the same. I have noticed that most amp manufacturers will post power ratings based on 2ohm loads.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

That is true mike 12volt...I notice that you need to check the specs on each specific amp..so even though the "rule of thumb" is most common..it is not always the case when dealing with power output.

But again, where I see alot of people misunderstanding is when they have a 2 channel amp that states it is "2 ohm stable". They attempt to run 2 -4ohm subs bridged to it thinking this is fine.  But where they messed up is that they didn't read into the specs carefully enough to see that this "2 ohm stable" rating is a STEREO rating.

In this case if using 2 subs they need to be a minimum of 8 ohms each if bridging it. I can't tell you how many customers I have that come in with amp problems due to this. To correct the problem (usually it is cutting out after a length of time) I have to either run the amp stereo and have a potential power output decrease (not always a major issue) or convince them to purchase 2 -8 ohms subs or a different amp (2ohm min stable mono or 1 ohm stable stereo).

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic