icon

extra battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremeimage 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
i wanna run an extra batter for the audi stuff, i have, boss audio makes something thats helps do that, does it work?  and how do you wire it up
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know the specific part from Boss but one way to properly add a battry is with a battery isolator. You run the alt wire to a post..then there is another post for battery "A" and another post for battery "B". It should be set up so both batteries recieve a charge from the alternator but if using the accesories while the vehicle is not running they run off the "B" battery. This way if you run it down there is always a charged battery to start the car (A).

Does this sound like what you are thinking about?

xtremeimage 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
yes  i think i got it now i just gotta get a isolator
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
Get this...reliable...better than whatever crappy boss audio can make
http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_5287.html
djscustomz1 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

That pac unit is one of the best on the market.. not as flashy as something stinger would make but by far the most reliable for the price... I have used many of those...

I dont care about who has the bigger name in the business... The Bigger the name the Bigger the price. NO BETTER QUALITY!!!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yes...PAC is more function than looks.
I hate everything Stinger because its all overpriced because it has the "Stinger" name on it
jbeletti 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
xtremeimage,
I am doing my second install now, both with battery isolators. I had no experience with them in the past but did some research on them to determine what units out there were of decent quality. In the end, I selected Sure Power.
Depending on your alternator output, these isolators can get pretty big. For my Dodge Ram, the unit was about a 10" long.. For my Toyota Avalon, , the unit was half that length. In both cases, I had to fabricate a bracket to mount them to the firewall.
So far with the Ram, it's all good - working as designed. The Avalon is still in process.
I was able to find the Sure Power isolators from various sources. I ended up ordering from Dan Marc RV Parts.
Best of luck on your project.
Jim (newbie to this forum)
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

The physical size of the isolator..all else being equal, would have to do with it's current rating.

You need to determine the total current demands to determine which isolator to use. If you use one with too low a rating..you will burn it out in no time flat. You can't really go too big as far a current rating..it would just be overkill, no harm done..but of course you need to consider the physical space you have to mount the unit as well.

jbeletti 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Knowing the output amperage of my alternators, I purchased the Sure Power isolators that matched the max output of the alternators. In the case of the Ram, the isolator was rated for about 20 amps beyond my alternators output rating as that was the closest match. But yeah, that thing was massive.
Jim
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Well a Ram is a massive vehicle..lol   But I totally get where you are coming from..the thing is that the alternator being able to supply the current demands of what is being ran off it is the main issue with some of the very high powered systems these guys put in these days.

For someone like yourself current demand of the devices you using does not come close to exceeding the demands of the factory alternator..so you simply use one that at least matches its rating. But with the mega watt systems out there aside from consdieration of upgrading the alternator..you also need to use the current rating of the amplifiers to determine what isolator you need..if they just went by the factory alternators rating, or by the model of vehicle..I wouldn't give it a day.

Take care.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic