icon

Aux Input for an Older Delco Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mickstan_vr 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

I do not have access to a o scope so thats out. And I'm getting sound from the O,B, and W wires. The spdt switch and the n/c switch are one in the same. You're just looking at the 2 sides of the board. My terminology might not be too good. The R and the R/W wires from the harness end up at that switch. R on the (G) terminal and R/W on the (NC) terminal. Yes, the switch is opened when a tape is inserted, killing the radio. The R/W wire goes to nothing else on the board. It goes back to the radio. So I'm assuming the remaining 3 wires are carrying the cassette signal. And I think B(brown) is the common or ground.

When I trip the switch with a jumper wire across the G and NO position the cassette mechinism fires up, the motor starts, and it acts like there is a tape in there but there is not. I can then get sound from the CD thru the spliced in wires. But I'm also still getting radio sound at the same time (along with the hum from the tape head) because the switch has not been moved physically from the NC position. Somehow that switch has to be thrown without actually putting in a tape. And I need to know exactly which wire would be the ground for the CD headphone out.

Can't figure out how the guy on ebay is doing this. He's done it to many different Delco radios from the early '80s to about '97. There has to something in common with all of them. A stereo headphone plug, a couple of wires, some solder here and there.

We had quite an ice storm here last nite and the power is still out. Might not get it back for several days! And is gonna get down to 15 degrees for the next 3 nites. So any experimenting at my end is on hold.

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Ice storms? I remember those. Now I live in hurricane ally. No ice but plenty of rain and wind. and long power outages so i feel your pain.

This is a tricky one since i do not have a delco tape deck to experiment on at the moment..but as I stated if a casette adaptor works (you might want to actually try one) and the levels are good with no "hum"..you should be able to do it through the head wires in all logic. as far as the switching I know it uses a mechanical switch..this would be much simpler if it was a full logic deck.but not so.

However, to do it this way (I have no idea how the other guy does it.he might be a delco engineer for all we know...or very lucky..lol) we would need to "mimick" everything the wires from that tape switch do or expect problems.

Keep us posted once everything thaws....best of luck.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
It actually sounds pretty straight forward. You don't have to understand all the inner workings of the cassette deck. You just need to be able to replicate what the cassette deck's harness does using your 5 wires.
You've already identified the red and RED / white as coming from the microswitch. You've also identified the orange, brown, and white as audio. That means the hard part is over.
When you get a chance, use an ohmmeter to test across the red and RED / white wires when you manually activate the microswitch. If you get a reading of almost zero ohms, you can put a simple switch across these two wires. If you get a much higher reading, just put a resistor of that value inline with the switch. Extend the wires however you see fit to place the switch where you want it. Now the remaining wires will be your new aux in. I would probably use some 100k ohm pots on the leads and do some trial-and-error. The pots will allow you to avoid damaging the deck. Start out at the high end of the scale, and work your way down.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mickstan_vr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm still without power at home! No work on the project. I'm not too savy with this stuff...so what the heck is a 100k ohm pot? And a switch. Is there a 3.5mm receptacle with a switch built in? I got one at Radio Shack, but it doesn't work like I thought it would.I has 5 pins but I need one that will break a circuit when the plug is inserted,....i think... Dang it! I wish I had power! I'd go and check out what geepherder says and take another look at that switch.......
geepherder 
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, pot is short for potentiometer, or variable resistor. I say 100k ohm, or 100,000 ohms because it's a high enough value, it should be safe to use even if you hook up the wires wrong.
For the switch, I'd just use a simple toggle switch. It won't have to be big, and you can mount it wherever you like. It'll just replace the switch inside the cassette deck, and whenever you want to go to your aux source, you'll just manually flip it.
Now just wire up a stereo jack for your input and you should be set. I recommend doing this with a friend who's handy with this kind of project.
mickstan_vr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Well I wish I knew someone with those skills and electrical knowledge. I have asked just about anyone I can think of, and this is where I'm at! But I'm not afraid to learn. So just bear with me on this...I really want to figure this out.

I'll look at the 'Shack for some "pots". Should I get 3? or 2? And as long as I'm there....Anything else, as far as parts, that I should pick up?

geepherder 
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
You should be able to handle it. It may just take you a little longer than it would otherwise.
I'd use one for each of the audio wires (3), at least until you get them figured out for sure. They should have a pack of miscellaneous pots, which may be cheaper than getting them individually. Either way should work fine. Like I mentioned before, these values are not set in stone, I just picked 100k because that's an easy value to find, and should not cause any damage if you hook it up the wires wrong.
RadioShack also has some project boxes of different sizes if you want to use one. You can mount a circuit board inside to protect it, and mount everything there.
mickstan_vr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Ahhhh....thats a cool idea! I'll see about that.

Got the power restored about 3PM today, and picked up the multimeter. Its a FLUKE 87 True RMS Multimeter. It looks most impressive! My buddy showed me how to do a few things with it, so we'll see if I can get it to work.

mickstan_vr 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

Well my radio gave up the ghost tonite while fiddeling with it. Puff of smoke from the amp area. I did get a breadboard and got it hooked up.I just cut up a cassette harness and put the board in the middle, and then ran a ground between the radio chassis and the deck. Sweet idea, geepherder!!!  Tomorrow I'll swap in another amp that I have here. Don't know if its any good either! If not, then its off to another junkyard!

I got a stereo volume control potentiometer while I was at the 'shack today, 100k, and some 47uF capacitors. But I never made it far enough to put them in and experiment. 

I'm at a standstill....... again :(

geepherder 
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
You're factory radio started smoking? Were you hooking this up without the pots in place? You didn't leave the other end of these wires connected to the cassette deck, did you? When you do this you'll want to cut off the 5 wire harness to hook everything up and test before final install.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic