icon

Modifying a remote control.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tonestor 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

I am new to this site.  I signed up to find out how to modify my car stereo remote.  I have a Jeep  with a soft top.  I built a center console and have the stereo mounted inside of it to help prevent theft.   There is a small door that I can open  to only expose the stereo.  What I would like to do Is install buttons on the outside of this door so that i can keep it closed and still operate the stereo.  The head unit came with a remote and I was thiking that there must be a way to tie in these exterior buttons into the remote and have the remote mounted inside of there stereo cabinet.  But I can't figure out a way to do it.  Hopefully someone can tell me if it will work or not.  And if it can be done can anyone give me step by step instructions. 

Thank you

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
tonestor 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the link.  I might end up doing something like that.  But I would like to have my own custom buttons on top of the center console.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

tonestor wrote:
I would like to have my own custom buttons on top of the center console.

You can take the remote control or the radio aparts and solder wires off of the push button contacts wiring points and add your own momentary switches. Below is how I did it on my 73 Nova. I took an old Alpine faceplate to get the square buttons out of it, used some tack switches from work, made my own fiberglass housings for the backside of the steering wheel and then used some electrical parts to be able to remove the battery in the original remote control (housed under the horn button) to where I don't have to feed it batteries.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1091561589049730488BZcWqw

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
tonestor 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Jim, nice work.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

tonestor wrote:
Thanks Jim, nice work.

No problem and thanks for the compliment.

You now have some options to do what you want, it's just how much you want. Thinking about this too if you are using buttons and they are on top (or even on the sides of the center console) I would also think about water resistant style switches or keyboards. I had an old Alpine alarm keyboard in my 73 Nova and accidentally spilled a soda on it and the liquid got inside and shorted out things. I did some work with a customer's 33 Dodge truck and I installed the Pioneer remote keypad/display in the overhead console and while designed for a boat it is water resistant. Jeeps with hardtops and soft tops I've heard have more problems with the interior getting wet than other types of vehicles.

Good luck on your design and project. Post back with the final work.

Jim  

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't want to disassemble your remote, another option would be to use a universal steering wheel interface such as the PAC SWI-X. You can mount your buttons where you want, and use different resistors for each function.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tonestor 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2006 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the resposes you guys.  I hope my project turn out good.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Could always do the faceplate in one of the sunvisors...... most are only 14 pins or so, some slight soldering, an old printer cable....... voila!
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2006 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

crack remote in half  (along the seam, not as in breaking it) and remove the guts from it...

take the empty top piece and set it where you want it to go on the center console..

trace around the piece and then cut that shape out of the center console...

epoxy the remote piece into the spot you just cut out, making sure not to get any epoxy under piece.. gotta make sure the thing will go back together again...

bondo the edges of the piece, to make it look like one smooth piece (but with the holes for the buttons still in it)...

paint it with a textured paint, trying to match factory pieces..

on remote pcb, solder leads onto the power points (where the battery goes) and adapt it for 12v power using a resistor / regulator setup, kinda like the led thing in the download section of this site...

also on pcb, desolder the infrared led and extend the lines so you can put it on the front of the console, where it can see the deck...

snap remote back together under console, and run lines to power..

enjoy custom remote sexiness!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic