icon

04 grand am, add on remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wil3404 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
I just got my add on remote start setup in the mail today. I wanted to buy the add on unit because I wanted to use the factory remote. I know I am limited to distance of the factory remote but this if fine I am very rarely need to start car when it is more than a stones throw away.(still far enough though that it will be warm when I get there04 grand am, add on remote start -- posted image.I purchased the Crimestopper 1300DP unit. I also bought a DB-GMDLBP module because I was told I would need it. I also bought a T wiring harness that is supposed to go behind the factory radio to save me from splicing into my heavy gauge wires. Can someone help me get started on finding the wiring info for this car. It is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. Im still a little confused how and why I am hooking up this DB-GMDLBP unit. If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.
Barnsy
wlmpwlmp 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  

2003-2005 grand am

12 constant-red and RED / black(use both)

starter-yellow

ignition 1-pink

ign 2-dk green

heater/accessory-orange

tach-PURPLE / white or white(at PCM under hood)

brake-white

theft- passlock 2 use the yellow(+) and the black(-) white not used . you need that bypass to generate the resistence code your ignition generates everytime you use your key. but when you remote start your bypass will generate this resistence. these wire will be found when you remove the steering column shroud's. follow your units instructions for hooking it up and all will be good. hope this helps. test your wires wires as you go to ensure correct connection's!!

WesMan
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
the gmdlbp is overkill but will still work for this car. all you need to hook up is the red, black brown and purple wires from the bp. red and black are constant power and chassis ground, the brown is ground out while running from the remote start unit, and the purple wire hooks up to the diagnostic port under dash to the only purple wire in the plug. parking light wire is at the radio, brown. there are two brown wires at the radio, it's the one that is not twisted around the yellow. tach is actually white under dash in harness going out through the firewall. there are a lot of white wires, i normally just hook up wire and try programming, if it is wrong wire, it won't program and won't hurt it either. good luck
My rifle is my friend...
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

You say the brown wire is ground out while running in remote start mode. What exactly is this? thanks

Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
where does the brown wire hook into?
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

What a way to spend New Years! I am installing my wifes remote start add on on her 2004 pontiac grand am. I thought I had a good idea what I was doing until I did a little searching on recent posts and became confused. I tried anyway to hook up the unit but am having problems. Let me first explain what I have. I bought a crimestopper model RS-1300DP add on remote start.(I bought crimestopper because the othe 4 units I installed were crimestopper and  I thought they were rathe user friendly. I bought a GM-6 T harness, and I bought the DB-GMDL-BP.(I was told this was overkill but it could be still used)  

Here is how I hooked it up by using the info I got online.

I took  the T connector I just unplugged the switch plug and plugged this in the middle. I then tested the wires with a meter and they worked fine. I then started car and it worked like it did before the T connector was put on.

Then I took out the main 7 wire plug and put 6 spade ends on the wires and plugged them into the correct T connector fitting. I then took the final white wire and sodered it into the parking light wire.

Next I took the the three wires comming of RS unit that are dedicated to the lock portion of the system. I took the red wire and folded it ove and taped it up. I then took the Green wire and connected it to the Green wire of the DB-GMDL-BP unit. I did the same with  the Blue wire. Blue to Blue. I then plugged in the program switch to the RS and laid it off to the side.

Next I took out out the 11 wire plug for the RS unit and wired as follows.

Black- Ground to chasis(non existing made own and checked with meter)

Yellow/White- hooked up to black wire in smaller grey plug under glove box in the black box

I then took out the GM-GMDL-BP and was reading that I only had to hook up the purple wire to the diagnious purple wire in the plug under the dash.(other than the power, ground, lock, unlock,

I hooked up purple to purple,

I hooked up green to green on RS, AS stated above

I hooked up blue to blue    "        "     "       "            "

I hooked up red to the T connector(sodered into side wire)

Black to ground.

A green wire goes to the lock system to tell when to start (lock, lock, lock,)  I guess this is the same green wires as above.

This is as far as I can get. I read about having to hook up the Brown wire in the DB_GMDL to a ground when running but I can not figure out what this is.

If someone can help I would be grateful. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Barnsy
actypes 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

I am not fimiliar with crimestopper as i work primilarly with DEI products, but ill try and help you out. The brown wire you are talking about should go to the status output wire of your remote starter.  This wire becomes grounded when you activate the remote start and stays grounded the entire time the remote starter is activated.   This triggers your bypass, which im assuming is the DB_GMDL.  Hope this helps..  In short, find a wire that remains grounded the entire time the remote start is on.  In DEI this wire is blue/white..

actypes 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
and the wire that triggers your remote starter, your "lock lock lock" should be to the lock motor wire.  Not just the lock wire of the car.  It should be in the drivers kick panel, its a gray wire
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
so there may not be an actual wire designated for this ground when on?
Barnsy
wil3404 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

I kow I'm really tired but I'm having a hard time grasping the difference between the Lock wire and the lock motor wire. Can you "Learn me" 04 grand am, add on remote start -- posted image.  Thanks alot for taking the time to help me out.

Barnsy
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic