icon

remote start, car will not crank

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
98k1500chevy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2002 monte carlo 3.8l and i am trying to put a remote starter in it and it is the 1400xp model from python.  My problem is that the vehicle will start and run fine with the remote starter if the key is in the acc. position, on position, or run position, but if the key is off all of the relays click and the interior lights, gauges, and parking lights come on for a quick second then shut right off and the car does not crank.  I have gone over all of my wires and connections and double checked them and i am at a loss, i have spent 14 hours on this, and really really really could use your help.  Thank you.

deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
it could be 2 things. 1st did you bypass your passlock 2 system.  2nd you might be missing an ignition wire(green).
First Class MECP Installer
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
14 hours wow. what did you use to bypass the passlock II?
98k1500chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

I used the bypass moduel 1700g, its the real simple one just power, ground, ground when armed, and data bus wire to pin 2 on obdII.  i know that the by pass is working because i have been told the vehicles bypass is done during the crank cycle, and the car will start with the remote start if you just click the key to the accesory position, so it would be relying on the by pass to crank, which it does crank and start with the remote as long as the key is in accesory. 

Also, the green wire is powered.

xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Have you verified with a meter that both ignitions are being powered when remote starting?
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
i would still think that the bypass is not working. if the key has to be in ignition to remote start it, then its not recognizing the bypass
xtremej 
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
Are you getting any security lights when attempting to remote start without the key in the ignition?
98k1500chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

no i have not checked that but will right now. 

No, i am not getting any security lights. 

98k1500chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
hi guys, thanks for the idea to check all the voltages, ended up being a bad relay, for the second ignition, the part that was hard was that they are built in relays, so i wired up and external one, and its good to go, thanks again everyone.
ugbandtulsa 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2007 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

I used the bypass moduel 1700g, its the real simple one just power, ground, ground when armed, and data bus wire to pin 2 on obdII.

Remember, it's ground when running, not armed. On DEI products, this will be blue/white on newer products, blue on most older products at the relay pack, and blue/black on some also.  NOT orange. That's the starter kill wire.

Check these, in this order:

1. With test light, check purple starter wire for output at crank, when you hear the relay pack click.

2. Check for 2nd and 3rd ignition, or 2nd accessory. Some cars will not crank without 2nd accessory power.
3. Use a 556L instead, I hate the 1700g. I have had several of these modules fail, and act inconisistently.
4. This is a relatively simple install, so if you check the above, it will start.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic