icon

which 15 sub is best?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilj2343 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
ok.... so i had an audiobahn alum15n that i recently blew so i'm looking to upgrade now. i have a total mobile t500.1 amplifier running 500 rms and a probox super bass 15" enclosure, and i'm wanting to continue use of both of these items.... so the question is, what 15" sub should i go with to get the hardest hitting base i can out of my car, which is a 2000 pontiac grand prix... I've been looking at a JL audio 15x3v2, which is kinda outta my price range.... a alpine type R.... Orion H2... Power acoustic FUBAR or their MOFO sub... and also the kicker CVX.... so i need help now... what do ya'll think that i should do????? also thinking about maybe MTX or rockford..... just can't decide
lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah..... and i kinda have a limit of about $250 right now
painstaller 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
In my opinion Type R, its a clean sub with awesome low bass. I think you would be happy.
lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
And a note for any other new people out there.... NEVER GET AUDIOBAHN PRODUCTS.... I RAN THIS SUB AT HALF ITS RATED RMS WATTAGE AND HERE IT IS A WEEK LATER AND THE SPIDER IS COMPLETELY BLOWN AND THE MAGNET IS FRIED....... DON'T WASTE THE MONEY!!!!!!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

Answers to questions like these will lead to people giving thier opinions but ...that will not nessecarily mean it  is "best" for you. What sounds good to one person may not to another and there are other considerations such as the subwoofers primary purpose..ie: SPL, sound quailty, type of music etc..

Try to listen to different brands and models and see which one you think is best..that will be the best for you. However reliability is also a consideration..but I find plenty of opinion there too which can make your decision tricky by strictly basing it on someone elses experience. In other words I often find one person will tell me a particular sub is crap...and then someone else will say the same sub has lasted them for years and still kicks butt.

As a rule of thumb and assuming the ratings are honest on the product if you use a woofer in which its RMS rating is equal to or greater then the amps RMS rating you should be safe. This of course assumes a proper enclosure for the sub (sealed/vented/bandpass), proper air space, well constructed and the amp gains set correctly as well. Most of us know that improper gain settings is a major cause of blown subs. A common misconception is that cranking the gains makes the amp more powerful. If this was true why would the amp manufacturers even put a gain control? Keep that in mind.

Best of luck and let us know what you decided on. 

lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
master5... thanks for that input.... but in your opinion which do u think would be good... all i really want is something that will last a little while and give me some good thump... i've heard a lot about the alpine and JL, but not much about any of the others. and i was kind of looking for input from others that may have heard these subs in action and can vouch for which one delivers what i want....... thanks again
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Master, haven't seen you around here in a while.
lilj, how was your gain and boost set???
I looked up Total Mobile Audio's specs on their amps and they are rated at 14.5 volts...this is so they can claim higher numbers. I know some people with Audiobahn subs that are pushing close to rated power handling and the subs are doing fine...if the power is clean the sub will last longer.
You may be been clipping the amp to get more power out of it and that may have caused the sub to fail....maybe
painstaller 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Master makes an extremely good point. The reason for my recomending the Type R is strickily its the best in my opinion. I love my music and have been installing for about 9 years, I use to be into the spl setups but as I've gotten older i look more to clarity, depth, and balance thats why I love alpine. Don't get me wrong, setup the right way Type R's can be a huge spl sub as well. Good luck with your searching let us know what you decide.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
that total mobile amp makes plenty of power.
lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
i had the amp gains and boost set up by the master installer at the shop i'm getting ready to work at so i'm confident that they were done right for the sub...... the thing i found with the sub is that the spider and coil have come unglued and i can't get to it to glue back.... so technically it's not blown.... just un-fixable with my lack of experience
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic