icon

2nd Starter Wire in Nissans Does What?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
absolutely nothing.  I was surprised when I got the schematic for it.  It just runs into a series of inhibitor relays, for theft lock and other warnings.  Was kinda disappointed as well, thought there might be a small furry animal there doing something, and  that would eat apple pieces out of my hand.  I would call him Elmer, and he'd be my friend.2nd Starter Wire in Nissans Does What? - Page 6 -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well I guess that about wraps it up.  My curiousity has been satisfied.
Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2007 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

rudydapump wrote:
absolutely nothing.  I was surprised when I got the schematic for it.  It just runs into a series of inhibitor relays, for theft lock and other warnings.  Was kinda disappointed as well, thought there might be a small furry animal there doing something, and  that would eat apple pieces out of my hand.  I would call him Elmer, and he'd be my friend.2nd Starter Wire in Nissans Does What? - Page 6 -- posted image.

LOL! I think the fury animal you were hoping to discover is actually connected to the ignition wire.

Yeah, I'm done with this one too -- so I'm just going to end with this:

The second starter wire has NOTHING to do with the cold -- rather, it may have something to do with oil pressure, overheated engine temps, theft deterrent system warning signals, etc.  So I hope to never hear someone on this forum answer the question, "Why doesn't my r/s work in the cold..?" with "b/c you didn't hook up the second starter wire, duh."

The search function is your friend.
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not convinced that its as simple as that....
but here is the online service manual for the 300zx so that someone else can have a look into it.
http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

I have a different take. It does have to do with cold...basically the jist is that the 2nd start wire always puts out 12v when you turn the key, but...this "inhibitor" relay has some kind of sensor for temperature..so it only activates when cold.

Now although I can't verify this as a fact (perhaps someone will one day) it makes sense since others have stated that the vehicle does not remote start when cold if the second starter wire is not hooked up..but will when warm.

Or perhaps the furry animal in there runs on a tredmill like on the flinstones and the 2nd start wire "zaps" it into motion.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry..I know some of you are sick of this topic..but my morbid curiosity caused me to check the link to the 300zx service manual.

It was not easy but I traced though the cluster&^%k of a blurry maze and found the 2nd start wire (blk / yellow) eventually ends up at the E.C.C.S. (engine control  unit). That was basically the first "guess" that I posted earlier when I assumed it may go to a control module.

But the service manual does not tell the funtion of the wire or why it needs to be a seperate wire. But at least according to the diagram we now know where it goes. As far as the "why" that's still up in the air.

peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sick of this topic (as well I shouldn't, I started it, afterall) but I am still frustrated to figure out what this second starter wire does...

So we're at ECCS -- does this have something to do with a cold sensor?  Evolution-UK thinks it does.

I checked the tach signal on my '97 Maxima (Mystery) and it's a good A/C voltage .. and the Ultrastart is indeed lighting up the LED's during "tach learn" indicating that a good tach signal was obtained.  I'm still suspicious that the second starter wire has something to do with this '97 Maxima occassionally not starting in extreme cold weather -- i.e. below 20 degrees -- though it'll start just fine over that temp.

peterubers 
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

oh... and if the second starter wire is only tripping some inhibitor relays -- why is it such a "bad" idea to "JUMP" the primary and secondar starter wire---

I guess the real question is .. why does the second starter wire need to be energized SEPARATELY .. unless it DOES in fact get engergized BEFORE the primary starter wire... even if it is milliseconds BEFORE the primary starter wire gets energized.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

I would say, at this point, the best bet would be to download the '97 Maxima service manual and start  looking through it.  Technology changes drastically change from model to model.

It's possible that the G35/350Z doesn't need the 2nd start wire, while the Maxima/Altima/Sentra/etc. does.

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

This is my feeling on it. If I was lazy I would say to just hook them together. But....there may be a reason they use a seperate wire so to be on the safe side I would absolutly reccomend to relay isolate the 2nd start wire.

Now as far as the vehicle not starting well when it's cold...as long as you have the second start wire is connected properly (check this with a meter) it should start in any temperature just like it would with the key. The RS only mimicks what the key does so make sure that is what is happening and all should be fine.

As far as if there are different uses for the 2nd start depending on year, model, tecnologies etc.. I guess we are in the dark until a factory automotive electrical engineer can explain this..everything else just seems like assumptions..although very logical ones..we are no dummies..just curious.

Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic