the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

opinions on old school amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

I was thinking of going with some older series amplifiers for my 07 Ion3 and was wanting to see what ppl think about the older brands of the early to mid 1990's. I remember many of them and had enjoyed them very much back in the day. Soundstream Reference series, HiFonics series VIII, the old Rockfords that were oval shaped and black... those are a few that I was thinking of. Targa was another brand that I just thought of...

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on a company called Alphasonik. I remember this company back in the late 80's when I was a boy looking through Crutchfield and learning about stuff. I searched for the brand tonight and was surprised to not only find a website but also find a variety of what appears to be pretty good amps.

Thanks ahead of time.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
That was the good old days. Orion, Precision Power, Fosgate, Hifonics, man I wish these companies were what they used to be.
'85 Toy
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Me too. I was originally going to go with something new but then I started thinking of the old stuff... I am going to a pair of Boston Acoustics 4ohm DVC G5 10s for the subs. So I am thinking I am going to have to have 2 sub amps that are bridged around 350 to 600 watts @ 2ohms, one for each amp... not sure if there will be an old school amp that will do 1ohm mono.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Orion 2100HCCA would rock 'em hard!!
'85 Toy
Fosgate3 
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
is that one 2ohm or 1ohm stable? I was thinking of the old "red 50's" too.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 4:38 AM / IP Logged  
one ohm stable.
'85 Toy
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
Orion HCCA 225, Soundtream Reference 405, 705....Soundstream class A 5.0 and 10.0
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
I second the HCCA 225....1 ohm bridged man. If you can supply it with the power it needs than you can wire it down to .5 ohm mono...I like em
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
The Orion red 50 (not the 100 - only 1 ohm stable, and I have PERSONALLY driven the red 50 at 1/4 ohm per channel with forced cooling), the old silver Nakamichi stuff, A/D/S Powerplates, The Soundstream Class A 50... The old Alpine V-12 stuff qualifies...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Fosgate3 
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

I was thinking of those soundstream reference amps mentioned above. In regard to the 705, is it 2ohm or 1ohm stable mono and does anyone know what the output would be (in other words, would I need one to push both of the G5 DVC 4ohm 10's I have @ 1ohm or would I need two of them, one for each ten @ 2ohms each)?

I looked at some pics last night of the Orions and it brought back some memories and Haemphyst, I've heard of ppl running them that low years ago. They are some powerful amps. My reluctance is how big they are. The amp rack I am thinking of doing is going to be on the underside of the rear deck with the amps facing down. So, I dont know if those amps would put like that would make them sit too low into the trunk, making them more of an obstacle in the trunk than anything else.

What about the HiFonics series? The last ones I liked were the Series VIII and I thought someone bought them out after that... maybe around 1996 or 97? And after that happened, the quality went down a few notches. The same thing happened to Autotek (remember the "Mean Machine Bass Thrust" amps? The ole Autotek44?) if I'm not mistaken. PPI too went through this round 1999? I was thinking of the HF Isis. I had a friend back in 1994-95 who had one of these jewels on two Pioneer "IMPP" 12s wired at 2ohms... the thing pounded. We had the 12's in a sealed box in a half camper shell on an S10.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic