icon

2007 camry, 2 starter wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
legenux 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I'm trying to do a friend's 2007 camry XLE V4. Base on this wiring, https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=84400, it has 2 starter wires. How should I go about this? I usually only familiar with 1 starter wire. Also, can I use 556U DEi bypass for this camry? Thanks.
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
This diagram only shows 1 starter wire..  From what I rememeber there is only 1 starter wire.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

You can use the 555u with the valet key. Hooking up the second starter wire is cake..many toyos have this.

The RS unit you are installing should have an output for this...but it will be a low current negative. Use a relay...30 and 86 to constant fused...85 to 2nd start - output....87 to the 2nd start wire of vehicle (should be a smaller ga.)

If your system has no - 2nd start output (read the manual carefully) then do it this way...30 to constant 12v+ fused, 85 to ground....86 tapped off the main starter wire, 87 to 2nd start wire.

87a is not used in either case. It is funny but on another thread in this forum we have been disccusing for weeks why toyo (and some other vehicles) require a 2nd starter wire. as of yet a solid answer has not been given. Perhaps one day we will find out..for now just hook it up. Some say it is for a cold crank sensor but since this wire sends 12v during crank if either cold OR hot that really doesn't hold water IMO.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
oops I meant 556u..well you probably knew
legenux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
I guess its not listed in the above link, but i have another wiring that list the 2nd starter wire. Is it neccessary to use this wire at all or I can I just ignore it? I am trying to install the hornet 564T on this vehicle. The DEI unit advises me to cut the first starter wire and connect one side o its green and other to purple wire. As for the second starter wire, leave it alone or follow the above method? If I leave it untouch, can the start at all ? Thanks.
cableguy13011 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
hey i suggest you to cut the two wires and put each side together and install starter kill relay like always
Cableguy!!!
legenux 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I'm trying to wire the relay but I can't find the wire on the 564T Hornet. Do you know the exact name in the manual for the  "2nd start wire of vehicle ." I only see some that are similar, is one of these it : + output to second ignition circuit, -200ma 2nd STATUS, -500 mA armed output.
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

just wire like this.  85 to the purple starter wiring that is hooked to the #1 starter wire in the car.  86 to ground.  30 to the 2nd starter wire in the car.  87a to nothing. and 87 to 12v constant.  do worry about cutting the 2nd start wire like cableguy suggest this is no need for this.

Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
Do it as Redpeppers suggests and it will work fine. Do NOT do it like cableguy says, the car will blow the AM1 fuse a few weeks down the road. You must hook up the second starter wire for the RS to work properly...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed as well. No need to cut the 2nd starter. If doing a kill cut the main starter wire as normal. Use the relay for the 2nd start as suggested..tap to it. If the RS unit you are using does not have a dedicated 2nd start output for the relay connect 86 to the main start output wire of the RS on the key side.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic