icon

First Time with Fiberglass Santa Fe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spawn12336 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  

Agreed on the PIA curves around the rings, that's the 5% unsanded on the one, waiting on the 3" DA sander to get here. and they are going to be painted. I colour matched parts of the interior last year to the exertior colour and will be keeping the blue and silver theme for the boxes and the liftgate. The colour is called moonlit blue. Looks darkblue almost black until the sun hits it.

This is what she looks like in the sun...

First Time with Fiberglass Santa Fe - Page 3 -- posted image.

and on a cloudy day...

and the interior last season...

"the universe has a way of balancing itself"
racerx22 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
spawn this looks really good. i think i remember u from the hyundai forums. im racerx or racerx22 i cant remmember..i got scion xb now
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

spawn12336 wrote:
Hell yeah, it feels great. Here are 2 shots from last week when I was doing the filler, right after the filler was laid on and sitting for about 30 minutes. I couldn't get over just how shiny this stuff dries, is that normal?. I have sanded 95% of one of them down already. I should have them mostly finished next weekend. Hindsight tells me I should have tried to cheese grater the tight spots, but live and learn.

(for people curious) That is the wax inside the filler coming up to the surface. Sand that off before continueing(sp?) on to the next step.

David mentioned a spray to help find the highs and lows, most body shops use graphite spray to find them, but a good alternative to it is charcoal powder. Grab a couple chunks of charcoal, throw it in an old sock, smack it with a hammer until it is powder, and pat that onto the surface. the charcoal will stay on the item and show you your high and low spots. Catch is, that these techniques (no offence david) are only really useful on larger flatter surfaces. The best way to really find smoothness is to close your eyes and lightly run your hand over the surface. You'll feel MOST irregularities that way, from there it is careful inspection at a low angle.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
david pascale 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  
no ofence taken always up for a new trick. I was taught by a body shop man when I did my center console and your right the spay and a gental toach is what it takes. Mine came out as smooth as a babbys ass after alot of sanding, Loved it. I will post mine when I finish everything, eccept I can only document the sub boxes because I didnt think to do the rest. LOOK GOOD spawn
information is the key to solving problems
spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
I trust the hand feel over any other trick, I've been using that so far. Thanks for the props and tips guys. And Racerx, I remember you as well. XB, eh, I'll only say that they are my nemesis at certain shows as we usually end up in the same class.
racerx22 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
not my choice on car but whut the hey its my dads and i drive it everyday/ i have no car payments so im cool with that. i want a new ford f150 4dr lariat blk on blk with 22's
spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2007 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

A quick update...

Did the final layers of bondo and sanding the last weekend in march, using the "milkshake method" (look it up). I am pleased with the turnout.

The boxes have been in since then and I have been breaking in the subs. Last weekend was my first chance to really turn them up, as for last season's measly 125.5 db score, let's just say it's a .... little louder now.  I ran through a few of my Bass Mekanik test cds, and was more than impressed with the sound now (if you have it, Bass Mekanik - Download, Track 16).

Went to the body shop to get a quote on painting them, so they should be in for paint the weekend after the move. I also met up with a decal contact out here as well in order to pick up a set for the trim panel that will be covering the split between the 2 boxes. Here's a teaser shot of the decals, all that is is a 4" led stripin behind the backing paper as the decals will be going on custom cut plates with frosted plexiglass...

spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

It's been over a month and a half since the last update, but I was working on some other side projects and waiting my turn in the body shop.

Ah the fine art of the teaser pic....dusty as it is

Everything came out from paint yesterday, looks awesome, a few things to deal with, then pics will be up.

spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

A little more work to do, but here it is installed...

One_Dieu 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
WOW!!!!!!  This is some nice work pump. 
Respect the Blood Line
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic