icon

r/s bypass output w/ starting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hinge817 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help. im gonna give it a go today. i figured id temp install everything first then make sure it all works right then go one by one and permenantly install everything that way. the alarm is no biggie. this is my first R/S install so im sure ill be running back and forth from the garage to the comp for additional help. thanks again.......and yes ill begrudgingly say that i did buy this unit off ebay
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

Thats alright..as confusing as it seems...there really is not that much to a remote start...there are installers that have built these themselves using nothing but a handfull of relays.

All the unit really does is makes the connections at the ignition switch wires like when you turn the key..But it only does what is nessecary to allow crank..run and accesory for the HVAC. It should work fine..might have a few bugs here and there but it is not rocket science..good learning experience for you as well.

Keep us posted.

hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
giving up for the day, things arent workin out at all. unhooked the alarm to put diodes on the door triggers and hook up the starter kill. hooked things back up and the alarm wont come on but chirps 3 times after a few minutes. wont recognize the remote either. i hooked up the starter kill and the truck still starts except if i unplug the relay, guess ill have to trouble shoot tomorrow. effin thing! from the diagrams, i have a normally closed starter kill, it says to connect the orange to alarm orange (-). and yellow to the key side of starter wire which in my case is yellow as well. i think ive got em backwards... hell i dunno.... ive had it with the damn thing today. it worked fine when i had it temp installed, it armed, unlocked, locked fine.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

If it doesn't recognize the remote it might need re-programming. But first use a DMM to check the basics...make sure the 12v constant is good..the ground is good..and the ignition wire is good.

If those 3 connections alone are wired correctly, with the key OFF, the system should respond to the remote..if not it needs reprogramming.....or it is defective. Those directions are a bit scary..even on the negative when armed starter kill output wire (orange)..it states it is for starter kill...yet..shows a picture of an OLD, old school ignition coil..and says to connect it to the "distributor". Now this tells me the designer of this system..or at least whomever wrote the diagram, has not worked on a vehicle newer then the early 1980's at best., or is totally clueless. this is what you are up against.

But..when or "if" (sorry) you get the system responding and operating here is how to check the starter kill (please do NOT cut any coil or distributor wires).

Ok....you cut the starter wire (shows 12v+ when the key is in crank ONLY) and you have 2 sides (I assume you have got this far). So now you have 2 sides of a wire..one side from the key...one side goes out to the starter solinoid..typically refered to as "motor side".

The orange is negative when you arm..set for normally closed as you know already. The relay will have numbers on the bottom where the terminals are so you may need to unplug it to see these.

It can work a few ways so I will list them all.  Ok, the orange will usually be on 85 (coil) but it could work on 86 (also coil). If the orange wire is on 85...make sure 86 is connected to the KEY side of the starter wire. Now....make sure 30 is also on the key side as well,...30 is a high current "common" contact so the wire on that should be heavy gauge, the jumper over to 86 can be small, doesn't really matter. 87a goes to the MOTOR side. 87 is not used, that is for normally open which you can not do with this system. IF the orange wire goes to 86... the KEY side jumper wire should be on  85..it will work either way as long as the socket is wired properly. All you really need to do is probe the socket wires to make sure it is wired properly and making good connections. I can only assume it comes with a cheap socket if any so those quite often have poor crimps or the terminals pop out of the socket and don't make a good contact with the relay..you must check all that.

If you need to PM me that is fine, I know master5 and there is a problem with his account activation so he told me he can't get to his inbox or respond to any posts until it's fixed.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
haha, i noticed the coil drawing as well, i thought it was a lil outdated. thanks for the starter kill info. i wrote to master5 about the r/s. i dont think ill be using it and im sure im makin it alot harder than it needs to be, i just dont want to fry my heater fan or anything. his notes said the acc. wires were green and orange. i was wondering if those both have to be powered up or if either one would work. my truck is a 2003 ram 3.7 with no power anything and no factory alarm (grey keys). also i was wondering if i would do any damage to anything if i didnt use the acc. wires at all. i live in tx so its only cold about 3 weeks a year and as far as the a/c goes, its a reg cab truck so it doesnt take long to cool down. i do like the idea of bein able to take the key out and lock the doors via remote and leave it running and run into the store or bank or whatever. he did say the rams are a pain to install r/s on and now i believe him. thanks
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

Got your PM ..

You don't have to worry about doing any damage by NOT connecting all the wires. It is connecting to the wrong wires..or pokin around unknown circuits and wires with test lights that is a problem. If you only connect one acc wire, and it needs 2 or more (doubtful) it will not harm anything, but the HVAC may not work with the RS..but will still be fine with the key.

Ok I am going to give you a trick of the trade..but don't tell anyone....lol..well alot of people know this. Take a fuse holder and put a 10amp fuse in it. Connect one side to constant 12v thick wire at ign. harness. Now splice back some insulation on the thick wires that you KNOW by testing with a DMM are the accessory wire(s). Now simply touch the other side of the fuse wire to the acc wires one at a time and see which one turns on the fan. If niether one does..you need them both. The vehicle does not need to be running to do this test. The fuse is there in case you touch ground..lots of metal under there ya know..better to blow a cheapo 10amp fuse then a main under the hood.

Now wasn't that easy??  Don't give up just because that truck is a pain..just think if you get this right the next won't seem so bad..one way to look at it.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
still not sure about the remote start. i got to thinkin if i just use it to start the engine and not use the acc for hvac, then if i leave the truck running and take the keys out and lock the door with the keyfob then the hvac will turn off untill i put the key back in. also ive found that most ppl have to use a relay to power up the second acc. lots of hassle and again i dont think i need it that much. so just gonna stick with the basic alarm, thanks anyway for all your help, i like the idea of testing for various wires using the fuse holder, never though of that, pretty ingenious.
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

Ok it's up to you bro....but if you need a 2nd acc relay it is easy..just do this....connect 86 to the first acc..any ga.wire...connect 85 to to gound, any ga. wire. connect 30 to constant heavier gauge wire, connect 87 to 2nd acc.,heavier ga. wire. 87a not used...very basic.

r/s  bypass output w/ starting - Page 2 -- posted image.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
better diagram it messed up...r/s  bypass output w/ starting - Page 2 -- posted image.
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic