icon

which two subwoofers with 2000 watts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ct34hale 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

I really don't want to spend more than $1200 max on a pair of subs, but really I would perfer something of good quality for under $1000.  I will go with one sub, if you guys can convince me it is good quality and will move a lot of air?

Also, I have an Audio Control DQXS digital processor, so I am hoping it will help me talor the sound to achieve a good quality setup.

Thanks!

arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
The Image Dynamics ID MAX12 is a nice sub.  Two of those would both require about 2000 watts of power total.  You can get 2 of them for under $500 a pop.  Those are definitely not to be over looked in the SQ department.  They get pretty loud too.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Never to be overlooked, take a gander at the TCSounds stuff... AWESOME sound quality through the line, with better efficiency and power handling as you step up in the models. You'll not be able to find ANYTHING better for the pricepoint, either.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
caraudioguru 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2007 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Actually to calculate current draw of ANY amplifer in ANY system simple take Total power X 2 (assuming a Class A./B amplifier) divided by DC volts (lets use 12 as we haven't t measured anything yet.)

So it would be 2000 X 2 /12 =333 amps.  If you are using a Class D amplifier than take that number times 0.7 (for 30% better efficentcy) which is 233 amps of current draw, full power at 12 Volts DC.  And that is just for the sub amplifier.  Add you other amps in.  You'll REALLY need to upgrade the alternator in this system.  Otherwise you cannot get full power continously (peaks, yes)

And adding capacitor(s) will NOT help as they don't do what you think they do :)  And fuses don't protect what you think, and don't work they way you think they do.

Physics.  Gotta love it!!

The more you know...the less you know
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2007 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
caraudioguru wrote:

Actually to calculate current draw of ANY amplifer in ANY system simple take Total power X 2 (assuming a Class A./B amplifier) divided by DC volts (lets use 12 as we haven't t measured anything yet.)

So it would be 2000 X 2 /12 =333 amps.  If you are using a Class D amplifier than take that number times 0.7 (for 30% better efficentcy) which is 233 amps of current draw, full power at 12 Volts DC.  And that is just for the sub amplifier.  Add you other amps in.  You'll REALLY need to upgrade the alternator in this system.  Otherwise you cannot get full power continously (peaks, yes)

And adding capacitor(s) will NOT help as they don't do what you think they do :)  And fuses don't protect what you think, and don't work they way you think they do.

Huh... never made the connection. Mr. Obvious? Thanks. You're a lifesaver.
The QUESTION at hand was about which woofers he should use. There are other places all over this forum regarding figuring the efficiency of amplifiers. I, myself, have a sticky.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2007 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
caraudioguru wrote:

Huh... never made the connection. Mr. Obvious? Thanks. You're a lifesaver.
The QUESTION at hand was about which woofers he should use. There are other places all over this forum regarding figuring the efficiency of amplifiers. I, myself, have a sticky.

Silly haemphyst...pining for the Bozo button again which two subwoofers with 2000 watts? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
ct34hale 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking at the TC Sounds web site and I see that in the TC-5200 series they have an 18" sub that requires a ported box volume of 5^3 ft. or a sealed of 1.5^3 ft., those are some small enclosures for an 18.  Opinions; do you guys think 1-18in sub is a good idea or should I go with 15's or 12's even for my civic?

Thanks!

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
It still would have a smaller box than 2 15's.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
ct34hale 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, the LMS-5400 subs look like they would be kick azz.  I am curious though on the TC Sounds site, they show enclosure sizes for sealed, ported, and passive radiator.  I perfer ported boxes, but I am wondering how well a pr would work???

This series of sub look great too because for a 15 the enclosure requirement is only 2.2^3 ft ported and same with pr.  The 18 enclosure is 3.5^3 ft ported and same with pr; that is just incredible.  These subs are really power hungry though, 2500 rms.  I am wondering if I wire it so that my amp is operating at 2ohms, that will only be 1300rms, will it be good enough for these subs???

Thanks!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic