mounting subs inside out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigcoop 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys/gals,
i used to have a jeep chearokee, with 2 audiobahn 12's. i had one mounted normally in the box and one /w the magnet facing out. sealed encloser, with seperate chambers. i did it for cosmetic reasons, but truthfully i didnt notice a difference in sound wether the magnet was facing in or out. why is this??
also
i just bought a '07 elantra (nice new look to '07) getting 2 more audiobahn's :) now with my subs in the trunk will it matter for spl which way i mount my subs?? (remember i had those other audiobahns in a jeep(no trunk) )
thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
It didn't matter, because it doesn't matter. As long as you allow for proper phasing between woofers, magnet in vs magnet out won't matter at all. You will also need to make the "magnet out" enclosure or chamber smaller, to allow for the difference in driver displacement.
In answer to the second part... again, it won't matter.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

I think you'll probably hear a difference, even with the same setup you had before.  They are two different cars.  One has a trunk. 

wrote:
i just bought a '07 elantra (nice new look to '07) getting 2 more audiobahn's :)

An '07 Elantra is a sweet car.  Doesn't she deserve something a little better than that?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Tell me you're not getting 2 more Audiobahn's. You can get much better subs for about the same price.
'85 Toy
bigcoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
hey,
i think audiobahns are just fine for any car if ur looking for pure spl!!!
ANYWAY: what subs are u talking about?? i always keep a open mind
thanks
also do i have to reverese the polarity i the sub i flip or both of them???
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
audiobahn or pure SPL????
haha your funny...how many competitions do you see being won with Audiobahn???
bigcoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
hey supradude im getting 2 more audiobahn's.. i dont have the other 2 anymore
also fella's: in my jeep with 2 audiobahn aw1200's in a sealed encloser i hit 145db continuesly... i had i measured at a local car audio shop with a prof. device not a rinka dink meter from walmart
i swear by audiobahn if ur looking for spl..
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Of course the hardest part about mounting subs inside out is pushing on the magnets hard enough to turn them inside out in the first place.  Most subs you have to stand on, some you have to use a Ford F250; Audiobahhumbug subs can be turned inside out by a little girl.  mounting subs inside out -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
bigcoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for your advise.. put for about $120 per sub $50 for box and $150 for amp so $440 to hit 145db all day long is worth is to me.. :)
holla
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I highly doubt you hit 145db's...maybe on the walmart BOOMSTICK.
But on an AC 180 or 190 or the TL...you won't get anywhere near 145dbs
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic