icon

subwoofer, what do i choose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
upzaw2000 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
i am trying to find the best pair of 12 inch subwoofers that are under 250 a piece and can stay under a total of 1500 watts rms, i can find an amp fairly easily i just can decide on subs, i hear type r's alot but i dont know just yet. i just want them to hit hard as heck, dont really care too much about the quality of sound.  i just want a huge punch!!!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2007 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
upzaw2000 wrote:
i just want them to hit hard as heck, dont really care too much about the quality of sound. i just want a huge punch!!!
Haha.
Your budget seems a bit high for this goal. If you really only care about punch, your actual driver choice doesn't really matter all that much. You need to be thinking about your enclosure. This is the critical componet for this goal. Besides, your guidelines for selecting a driver are so absurdly broad (>750wrms, >$250) that they literally fit 99% of 12's on the market.
What sort of amplifier are you considering?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
upzaw2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

if its 1000 watts then jl 1-1000 easily.

if its will be higher than that then i would either go with a kicker block, or mtx block depending on efficiency, unless anyone has any opinions that differ.

**obviosuly i will be more picky about the block other than just effienciency but i need to find subs first, obviously ohms, who makes it, the quality all effects my choice also and other things.*** i am not an idiot.

Right now i am running two e12's (yes i know pretty weak) with a alpine m605 in a sealed box custom made for my car. i have had this set up for about 3 years now, it has been fine for me, but its getting real boring now.  i dont wanna drop 600 bux on the big jl's i dont need anything that rediculous, i am not entering any comps or anything.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
upzaw2000 wrote:

if its 1000 watts then jl 1-1000 easily.

if its will be higher than that then i would either go with a kicker block, or mtx block depending on efficiency, unless anyone has any opinions that differ.

**obviosuly i will be more picky about the block other than just effienciency but i need to find subs first, obviously ohms, who makes it, the quality all effects my choice also and other things.*** i am not an idiot.

Right now i am running two e12's (yes i know pretty weak) with a alpine m605 in a sealed box custom made for my car. i have had this set up for about 3 years now, it has been fine for me, but its getting real boring now. i dont wanna drop 600 bux on the big jl's i dont need anything that rediculous, i am not entering any comps or anything.

Blocks?? monoblock amps are just single channel amps...there are monoblocks that only push out 100 watts rms.
Elemental Designs 9.1 amp is good...I just bought one. Very nice and has tons of power
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
I'm always very confused by these sorts of posts that don't mention the box or the volume of trunk space available for a box.
The box and space available will have a large impact on (a) the subwoofers you pick, (b) the power you pick, and (c) any number of other important variables (efficiency, peak power, etc.).
If you are not interested in spending a lot of money on this project and you are primarily interested in "hit" over sound quality, I would direct my search to efficient 12" drivers well suited for ported applications in box sizes you have the space for. Alternatively, I would think about going with some efficient 15"s.
A good box and efficient drivers makes "getting loud" pretty easy in a car.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
aznboi3644 
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
I'm always very confused by these sorts of posts that don't mention the box or the volume of trunk space available for a box.
The box and space available will have a large impact on (a) the subwoofers you pick, (b) the power you pick, and (c) any number of other important variables (efficiency, peak power, etc.).
If you are not interested in spending a lot of money on this project and you are primarily interested in "hit" over sound quality, I would direct my search to efficient 12" drivers well suited for ported applications in box sizes you have the space for. Alternatively, I would think about going with some efficient 15"s.
A good box and efficient drivers makes "getting loud" pretty easy in a car.
agreed...I had an old jl 15 W4 in a custom ported box I built...off of 300 watts rms it was LOUD
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:
When I meet people that are into this stuff these days I'm not. The marketing machines surrounding this stuff have very successfully convinced the majority of consumers that big amplifiers and brand name woofers matter far more than basic physics questions like vehicle type or enclosure type.
I mean listen to this guy talk about the JL1000/1... he's clearly not looking carefully at the differences between the JL and MTX when it comes to things like input-voltage/RMS power and onboard xovers.
Yea there upzaw2000, spending JL1000 money when you just want some subz is really out of line. Here you say,
upzaw2000 wrote:
i dont wanna drop 600 bux on the big jl's i dont need anything that rediculous, i am not entering any comps or anything.
What? The JL1000/1 is a $750 amplifier, if you can find a good dealer, and nevermind the subs you want as well.
Listen there upzaw, that Alpine amplifier you have is actually *perfect* for your goals. Indeed, I imagine the 12's you have are probably quite serviceable as well. Your first step here would be to revaluate your enclosure and see if perhaps porting the 12's in a larger enclosure would provide you with the *omph* your looking for. If you post back the subs you have .. i don't know what an 'e12' is... we could help you design a proper enclosure with WinISD or another tool like that.
If you really want bigger/better subs, I these are *SICK* when paired to a few hundred watts in a ported box. Very reasonably priced too, eh?
Keep that amp you have you don't need a JL1000.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
aznboi3644 
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like he means the Alpine TYPE E subs....not e12s...that is incorrect
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Good call on the 13W1. They dont need much power or a huge box.
Ive never heard the type E subs in a ported box, but it is worth a shot. I wouldnt waste a 1000/1 on some mediocre subs meant to add a little punchyness w/ no regard to sound quality
upzaw2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, wasn’t expecting to get the bashing I got, but I suppose it was deserved.

I drive a 2006 HHR, I have a enclosed box 3 feet wide - 1.5 tall – and 1 foot deep at botton and and 6 inch deep at top.

FYI the chevy HHR is a hatchback.

When I say I want punch I am really just wanting a Higher SPL (at low hertz).

I know car audio fairly decently, I don’t do installs for a living or anything but I know enough to get by.

But I still need to ask questions.

I don’t really wants a ported box because I am afraid that it will just be louder instead of just getting low hertz.

Plus I currently have 2 bazooka 8’ subs hooked up also to a alpine 350 mono block (discontinued.)

Those are open ported.

SQ isn’t a big deal but if it comes in the package then that’s a plus.

The alpines I have now have the ability to get “loud” at a higher hertz, but then they stop losing there use as a subwoofer and become just a really large mid-low speaker.

The alpine 605 gives you great control over the subs, hertz and all but the alpine type e’s cant handle the lower hertz.

Am I just talking crazy talk, is any of this making since??? I may be going crazy.

trya nd help me out if anyone would, i am not here to look dumb and i am sure this forum isnt for that purpose. sry for not being clear enough i was in a rush before

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic