icon

major problem with rsx doorlocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
peterrubers thanks a ton for the help and making my read of the service manual a whole lot shorter by doing that reading for me. I am downloading the file as I write this and in a little while I will be going out to do some investigating. Can I test those fuses without removing each one and visually inspecting it? Thanks
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

It's ok to take ANY fuse out and just inspect it.  don't worry.  They are made to be taken out and placed back in the slot.  I would physically use a pair of needle nose pliers and take them out and inspect them.  I betcha its either that 7.5A fuse under the dash or the one directly in front of it in-line under the hood.  They are the mini-blade type fuses, btw, in case you go and buy one from radioshack or pepboys, etc. 

If you do find the fuse to be blown .. and when you put the new fuse in .. it may do 1 of 2 things:

1) it'll blow right away .. indicates there is a more serious short circuit than previously expected

2) it'll keep the doorlocks working fine .. but may eventually blow again .. in which case it'll be important but not urgent to find that short circuit

best of luck

The search function is your friend.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hey how did you read the service manual so fast. How did you figure out which fuse did what when the ignition is hot or not etc.. I looked at the diagrams and had no clue. Now I have never read a service manual previously in my life so that may be why but in any event thank you very much and the info was extremely helpful. I just hope the new fuse does not blow when I put it in cause then I am screwed
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I think i will be checking the under dash#10 fuse first. Thank you and I never thought posting here would be so helpful. Also you recommended me ask on the club rsx forums. While I do like that forum and go there frequently, for the more technical questions I think this forum is much better.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

After re-reading that circuit on page 22-156 (page 1307 of adobe), I think i got it backwards:

In the IG1 "HOT" position, the following fuses are being used to deliver power:

Under hood: Fuse #19 and #20 (100A and 40A respectively), Under dash: Fuse #10 (7.5A)

In the IG1 in the not "HOT" position (i.e. during the circumstance where YOU are having the problem/issue), the following fuses are being used to deliver power to the keyless/doorlock system:

Under hood: Fuse #9 and 16 (7.5A and 15A respectively) (***CHECK these first***) (no under-dash fuses for this part of the system)

I now think that fuse #9 and/or #16 are your problem ... b/c according to the diagram these are the circuits that are used when the system is not being powered with the key being in IG position II or III.

When you blow enough fuses, as I have, you get good at reading EWD's and schematics, LOL!

csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hehe don't go to hard on yourself over blowing the fuses, I am sure you didn't blow as many as you are making it seem. Anyways, I doubt I blew one of the larger amperage fuses because then I would probably be having a lot more problems then just the door locks. I will deff check fuses 9 and 16 first in about an hour. i am so anxious that this will fix my prob so I hope I am not disappointed to find these fuses operational cause that would mean I have a larger problem on my hands. Thanks
peterubers 
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
btw -- what year is the RSX?  This helms manual is for an 02/03 .. however, from what the guys on the RSX forum are saying, it still applies to the later model years.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
It's a 2006 rsx type s. They did make some changes for the 05 and 06 models. For example, wiring the 556h keyless bypass for the remote start is different for the 05 and 06's in relation to the 02,03 and 04's. That means there was a slight change to the immobilizer system. I'm just using this as an example of changes but I doubt they changed the locking system. I maybe wrong though
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Also since I am preparing for the worst, what is a short circuit exactly. The doorlocks on this car are negative so I don't exactly know what a short circuit is or what causes it. Hope you can explain.
peterubers 
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

Well, even though a negative signal is needed to "activate" the doorlock motor .. the doorlock motor itself still needs a positive 12 volts (and some type of current) to activate the actuator to pull down that door lock.  Perhaps something in the ultrastart brain is causing that negative signal to be prolonged  .. therefore prolonging the current that's going through the doorlock actuators .. therefore blowing a fuse under the hood or dash.

Alternative theory is that  an OEM wire has been compressed/pinched/eroded secondary to your remote start/alarm installation .. and over time .. it caused a doorlock power wire (12 volts) to short .. or be grounded to the chassis metal component and therefore allowed way too much current to flow through the in-line fuse .. causing the fuse to blow.  When any OEM 12 volt power supply wire touches ground (or a metal component of the chassis which serves at ground) .. it allows all the current the battery can generate to flow through that circuit.  Fuses are a safeguard against allowing all 550-700amps of the battery from flowing through a wiring circuit in which the wire can only handle about 5-30 amps (alternator and start wires in the engine bay can handle much more amperage/current obviously).  The fuse allows only a certain amoutn of current (i.e. 7.5 amps for example) to flow before "blowing."

Less likely still, but still a possiblity is that something in the Acura system itself has finally decided to be defective .. and your alarm is not the culprit... this is highly unlikely only b/c I don't think this is a common issue at all on the '06 RSX's ..

Sorry if this is info that you already know, hopefully it helps you isolate your issue. 

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic