icon

major problem with rsx doorlocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
That was actually very informative. I knew that a pinched wire was a "short" but never understood the science behind it. I don't anything was pinched and surely nothing was done to exacerbate the problem recently. I hope it is just a blown fuse and it will behave normally when the new one is inserted. I am just waiting for my brother to come back with the car as I lent it to him for the afternoon. I'l keep you posted
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

i see this problem a lot with buddies of mine that put in their own stereo systems with little regard to protecting wires.  They later discover a blown fuse .. then trace it back to a pinched wire that is not a problem in and of itself, it's just that when it gets pinched, it's usually by something metallic and it pieces the wire sheath and allows the copper wire to contact and create a "new" circuit with the grounding metallic component of the car .. then then opens up the current to flow down this new path.

I rarely see with with remote start installs

The search function is your friend.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I hope no wires are pinched cause then I have to open up my dash again which I am so not in the mood to do. I think this stems from me working on the wires with the ignition on at times. Is that possible?
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Also another thing I forgot to mention is that when I started working on this, I did blow the actual fuse to the radio which provides 12v there but i did not bother replacing it because I wanted to run a wire to the battery anyways. I know a fuse was blown as probing the wire harness revealed the WHITE/ red wire was dead but the yelllow/red accessory wire did provide 12v with the key turned.(I think those were the wire colors) Anyways do you think this has something to do with my prob?
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

i'm looking at the electrical diagram manual again ...

Yup... common fuses involved:  page 1255 .. the non-bose circuit diagram (I assume you have the non-bose unit)

Fuse under hood: #2, #9, and #20 .. surprise surprise, they also affect your doorlocks...

Under dash fuse: #8

peterubers 
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
The #9 7.5A fuse under the hood supplies a WHITE/ red wire .. power to the headunit... that fuse also seems to help the doorlock system
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Firstly I do have the BOSE system in this car. What is the diagram saying about that? Does the info you just provided still apply? Damn if only my brother would get home already as I am sooo anxious to get this fixed or at least find out the problem.
peterubers 
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

'ccording to the service manual .. the power to the headunit is identical to the non-bose vs. bose unit... the differences in bose vs. non-bose are at the speaker level as far as I can tell.

You said that your doorlocks were working w/o the key in the ignition temporarily after the radio install? Am I understanding that correctly?

peterubers 
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

oops... forgot to read page 1253... different circuit power diagram for bose stereos:

Under hood: #14, 20, and 9  (still applies that fuses are shared b/w stereo and doorlock system)

Under dash: #15 and #8j

The #9 fuse supplies a WHITE/ red wire .. the one you mentioned ..

csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Il tell you the truth, I am not sure they worked at all after the install. I initially said that because after I installed the stereo it never occurred to me that the locks would operate differently in the ignition on and off positions. I drove the car around and the locks worked with the ignition on but I don't know if they worked in the off position cause it never occurred to me to check that.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic