icon

Debate, Stiffening Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

I recently have been answering peoples' questions regarding car audio at Yahoo!Answers. There is a gentleman there who claims capacitors work. He claims he got a 4 volt increase in his system upon adding crapacitors. We have been debating back and forth whether they work or not.

I keep telling this guy, who happens to be the 'top contributor' for answering q's about car audio, that he needs to go to the12volt.com and search posts about caps' usefullness, or lack thereof. He tells me that noone here knows what they are talking about regarding caps.

Anyways, i've been searching the12volt.com for a good link that explains how they don't work, but with no luck. I've seen them before but can't find them now. Can someone give me a site address that explains, in Great detail preferably, the uselessness of caps?

Much Love to the real Car Audio Gurus here at the12volt.com. Thanks.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty good thread on CapsThis one was the best I could find without sifting through all pages.There are tons of info on these on this site, the link i posted was on page 2 on a search for "capacitors"
GL
sS
rtfm
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
I always get confused on this as well because you hear so many different things and theories from everybody. On here, caps are useless, spend money on higher output alt, which makes sense to me, one dealer says no to caps or alt, but go with *x* brand battery or multiple batteries, another dealer says no to alt, but use caps and batteries, enough to drive a person insane!! Wouldn't all vary based on the systems power needs and/or how the person uses the system?
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

The dealer evidently gets incentives to sell those expensive batteries. Most don't realize that they only store power and in turn, requires more alt.

Oh, yeah, this stubborn guy also says batteries "create power from chemical reations". He swears that batteries create power! Moron.

Thanks, spookiestylez.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
spookiestylez 
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I can't explain it as good as some of us on here,but if you have a problem with your headlights dimming, adding a cap isn't going to do anything to solve your problem.The only thing its going to do is add more of a strain on your charging system because now it has to charge the cap as well.Basically caps are a $80+ band aid, when the proper thing to do would be to have your battery and alternator checked out, most places do it for free.Then do a more proper upgrade like getting a higher output alternator that will keep your electrical system charged,getting a better battery (just cause),and if you really feel froggy upgrade the big 3.Which would be upgrading the 3 main cables in your vehicle.The cable from the battery to the alternator,from the ground on the battery to the chassis, and from the engine to the chassis.Either adding to or replacing to the factory cables,using the same if not a larger gauge.
Hopefully i put enough information out there for someone to fill in the blanks, and there is a sticky on the big 3 upgrade on the main page
sS
rtfm
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

No, thats not The link i was looking for. I was refering to the one in which there are a million different math equations about ESR, etc... But thanks spookiestylez, for the quick reply.

Anyone know where i can find what i'm looking for? I've seen one of the 'big dogs' here at the12volt.com refer to it once or twice before.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Here is the best information you can give him
he can even try the experiments for himself
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well this is funny because I was in a debate with the exact same person in question. I posted the same information that aznboi posted an got the response "the math is right but dosen't work that way in the real world, I have checked this on a o-scope and seen the results for myself" was what he said. I say stay away from Yahoo answers, people don't listen there.
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Don't you think caps are useful to someone who just put in some $300 amp and sub package and notices the lights dim a little. So wouldn't it be better for him to purchase that $80 cap or purchase a couple hundred dollar alt plus installation.
spookiestylez 
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
Here is the best information you can give him
he can even try the experiments for himself
Great link!!I learned something new for the day!
rtfm
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic