icon

priority door setup gone bad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Thing is, I'm guessing the jumper used to supply the 12V was probably unfused, or tapped off from some source that was able to supply much higher current than the module and relays were normally expected to handle. 

Since it was a ground connection that was involved on the RKE, which isn't normally fused (being on the ground side, and not a 12V supply),  *poof*.

If you can repair the old trace and diode, it'd probably be a good idea to try using that for your installation, and keep the new one as a backup.  If you accidentally poof it again, let the old one be the sacrificial lamb- priority door setup gone bad - Page 3 -- posted image.)

icarus_icarus 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Good idea, I'll look for my soldering iron and fix 'er up and see what happens, I have a big gun type one, but I can't use that on this ;)

Thanks for the help & advice :)

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
priority door setup gone bad - Page 3 -- posted image.
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Found my lil soldering iron, and put a wire in place of the burnt trace on the board and it works great now :) The diode was fine.

This will work good now so I can finsh off the install this week. I hate working nights though becasue I never find time to work outside. Off to bed now so I can sleep off this sedation I got earlier at the hospital :)

I'll post up how the circuit works I did on the first page, and hopefully it won't be to say I fried the module again, lol...

Thanks to all the great people on this site helping out!!!

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm... it stopped working again last night...

The new module showed up today though, so I popped it in and it works again after I reprogrammed in the remote...

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  

Well, it still doesn't work but I was able to fix the trace on the board this time, I even used a fuse this time (10A) which did not blow...

Only thing I can think of is I mixed up the 'motor' side and 'switch' side of the R/O wire I cut? What should each measure when tested?

I'm only giving this one more try, then I'm just going to wire it up above the relays normally so it unlocks/locks all the doors at once... I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with this... priority door setup gone bad - Page 3 -- posted image.

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  

After searching around more here, I figured out which side is which for the motor (the cut R/O wire reads 12V with unlock button pressed down on the switch side, and 0V on the motor side...)

I hooked it up propery this time, but it still seems to 'struggle' to unlock the door, and its unlocking the passenger side! So I think the factory diagrams I have are wrong, as well as I can't firgure out why it has trouble unlocking it anyways (wired up without the relay it locks/unlocks quickly by door switches...)

Should I just give up on trying to get the priority door unlock to work or keep at it? Anymore suggestions from anyone?

Jon

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure you cut the R/O wire at the right spot- it has to be right before it enters the motor, not at any other point where it branches off to the RKE or anti-theft module.
If you happened to pick a point in the branch going to the anti theft, it doesn't open up the connection as required.
The wire colors are the same throughout the run, but it'll make a difference where the cut is-
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

How come the passenger door unlocks then? The R/O wire only goes to the drivers door module and the anti-theft module (as an input to disarm it.)

I did take the door panel off today and can see the R/O wire going to the motor, so its the right side it seems. I can't see it feeding back through the anti-theft module as it's not even connected, but it must be feeding through somewhere (hence why its unlocking the pass. door and seems to not work strongly?!) I'll look on the passenger side door tonight and see what colors are going to the motor there...

dualsport, I actually think I just answered whats wrong with the above comment and you said not to hook it into the branch that goes to the anti-theft, and maybe thats what I've been doing all along! (I'll be kicking myself in the *** big time if this is the case, lol!)

I'll try one more time with the wire in the door itself, and if this doesn't work, then I'm calling it quits on the priority door locks...

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
icarus_icarus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Well how about that...

I was into the harness the first time I guess where it branches off to the anti-theft module! I have it wired up now the way you said dualsport (I ran two wires into the door) and it works perfectly now! Running the wires was pretty easy too so I should have did that to begin with...

Thank you dualsport for helping out and making me see my error, I have learned from this mistake and won't do it again in the future! I am so glad there is people like you and other on this forum willing to help and have the patience and help others learn priority door setup gone bad - Page 3 -- posted image.

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Good to hear it worked out- priority door setup gone bad - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic