icon

directed sub upgrade 2 ground pounder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mystereobangs 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 3:56 AM / IP Logged  
right now I have the Directed d1200 amp and 2 directed sx subwoofers. http://www.drdetailshop.com/sx12d4.htm
I want to know what do you think of the set up and the subwoofers. Are those some good competition subwoofers?
And what subwoofers do you recommend that the subwoofer bass will shake every car at a stoplight? I need a earth pounder subwoofer that will shake cars for days. I don't want to really do that but I jut want you to get a feeling of the type of subwoofers i want. Any suggestions?
Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
5.25 kicker fronts
6 1/2 kicker rear
Directed D1200 Amp
2 Directed Audio SX Subwoofers
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

What you really need to do is define your goal.  You mention competition subwoofers?  Are you going to be competeing or is this for a daily driver?  Do you want pure SPL (ground shaking loud as you put it) or to try to retain sound quality as well?  I'll assume the former.  Most people on this forum will correctly tell you that most subs can get quite loud given the correct ENCLOSURE.  So you do not need to upgrade subwoofers necessarily but build the enclosure that optimizes them to your goal, that is for pure loudness, SQ, or some comprimise of the two.  Think about it and get back to us...

By the way include what kind of enclosure you currently have, as well as electrical system upgrades?  And how do you like those licker speakers in your sig.?directed sub upgrade 2 ground pounder? -- posted image.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

zhalverson wrote:
What you really need to do is define your goal.

Haha.. I think he did.

mystereobangs wrote:
what subwoofers do you recommend that the subwoofer bass will shake every car at a stoplight

Ahaha.  That's hilarious.

If that is what you really want, I think you should start by building a big ported box tuned real high.. like maybe 42~45hz or so.

Believe it or not, the actual diaphram choice you make doesn't really make the difference you might think.  Your enclosure and vehicle have alot more to do with this than you'd imagine.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Those speakers should do the trick depending on the box and vehicle. Look into the specific volume needed for the speakers for a  vented box and then find yourself a box builder that has a good rep. Its all money after that...
...don't crush the weasel...
mystereobangs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
zhalverson wrote:

What you really need to do is define your goal. You mention competition subwoofers? Are you going to be competeing or is this for a daily driver? Do you want pure SPL (ground shaking loud as you put it) or to try to retain sound quality as well? I'll assume the former. Most people on this forum will correctly tell you that most subs can get quite loud given the correct ENCLOSURE. So you do not need to upgrade subwoofers necessarily but build the enclosure that optimizes them to your goal, that is for pure loudness, SQ, or some comprimise of the two. Think about it and get back to us...

By the way include what kind of enclosure you currently have, as well as electrical system upgrades? And how do you like those licker speakers in your sig.?directed sub upgrade 2 ground pounder? -- posted image.

Okay well this is the box I have.. Its kind of small 3.0 cubic feet http://www.bassslammer.com/images/prodCarpetBS212V_750.jpg
I have another box sitting at home , it's a little bigger. I think its like 3.25 or 3.50 cubic feet and it is slot vented on one side. Do you think I should use it?
And I hate those kicker speakers. The sound quality sucks..
I don't compete in competitions or nothing but I want it to sound like I do..I do want to comprimise the two for alot of spl and some sound quality. I did have the rockford p3 in that box and the bass slammed but there was no sound quality..
Oh and guess want. I was driving home from work yesterdau and I look at my volt meter on my cd deck and it dropped to like 11 volts and my VOLT BATTERY light came on and still is on.. What happen? Is my battery draining?
Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
5.25 kicker fronts
6 1/2 kicker rear
Directed D1200 Amp
mystereobangs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:
Those speakers should do the trick depending on the box and vehicle. Look into the specific volume needed for the speakers for a vented box and then find yourself a box builder that has a good rep. Its all money after that...
I can't find the specs on the subwoofer. it is not listed anywhere on what size box it needs.
Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
5.25 kicker fronts
6 1/2 kicker rear
Directed D1200 Amp
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
means you need to upgrade your electrical system...start by upgrading your BIG THREE and have your battery load tested.
mystereobangs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
means you need to upgrade your electrical system...start by upgrading your BIG THREE and have your battery load tested.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to upgrade big 3 for 99 chevy monte carlo..my alternator is a little bit confusing. There s a boot over the wire the snaps on the amplifier..
Did anyone purchase the online car repair book thats on here?
Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
5.25 kicker fronts
6 1/2 kicker rear
Directed D1200 Amp
mystereobangs 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:
Those speakers should do the trick depending on the box and vehicle. Look into the specific volume needed for the speakers for a vented box and then find yourself a box builder that has a good rep. Its all money after that...
will this kenwood amp work with the subwoofers. It will be short of about 150 watts per subwoofer. http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_4351_Kenwood+KAC-9152D.html
Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
5.25 kicker fronts
6 1/2 kicker rear
Directed D1200 Amp
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
ModelSX12D4
Size12"
Magnet109 oz.