icon

bondo to smooth mdf surface?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

I'm building a sub enclosure out of MDF and I want to smooth out the surfaces (edges included).  Can I apply bondo to the MDF to accomplish this.  My thinking is that the bondo can be sanded down and it would cover any seams, nail/screw holes, can be sanded down and paint would come out smooth on it. 

I'm just concerned whether or not the bondo would adhere to the box or would I have to worry about it cracking.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Mike

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
yes you can. i'd apply some resin to make sure its sealed well.
_Keith_ 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Just sand the mdf first then use very little bondo then paint....

Youd be surprised what happens to MDF when you sand it......

allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah...I know the flat surface of MDF sands down well, however...the cut edges don't do so well.  Plus...I don't want the seams to show when it's painted either.  My plan is to paint the box a high gloss black to match the exterior of the car.  I just didn't know if the bondo would be a good option to work with.

I also didn't know that I could just put resin on the box either.  I will definitely do that to make sure it's sealed really good before adding the bondo.  Hopefully...I'll have pics of it completed in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the input fellas!!!

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
_Keith_ 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

resin wont be strong and will be brittle.... if your gonna do that put down a thin coat of duralast or somthing.... just ruff the mdf up a bit to get a strong grip

allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Duralast???  Excuse me for sounding ignorant, but what is duralast?  I do appreciate the info as this is the first time I'm attempting to do something like this.
_Keith_ 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry had batteries on the brain.. its duraglass

Its a fiberglass filler that has strands in it... this way it hardens. some people then sand it a bit and add just a bit of filler to smooth it out. and then do the final sand. but for you,you may just need the duraglass.

allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Oh...cool!  So it's better than regular body filler as it will have the strands to add strength to it, right?
_Keith_ 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

Yea...

Doing just resin is brittle like I said before... And doing just bondo can crack.. I know theres not much stress but you want somthing strong and seal the seems good id go with duraglass

allmet33 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2007 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

And duraglass is pre-mixed or do I have to mix it? 

Can you think of any other coatings I may use for what I'm trying to do???

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic