icon

2001 gmc sierra remote start problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bisdhawks25 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

ok, 2001 gmc sierra...just hooked up a viper 791 alarm and everything works great but i cant get the remote start to work... it tries to start, and cranks, but then shuts off right away.... i dont have my tach wire hooked up because i dont know where it goes....i have heard about the white wire, and some PURPLE / white wire, or hooking it up to one of the injector wires, but i cant find a wire anywhere that changes voltage when i rev up the engine.... - besides that, im not sure if my problem is becasue of the passlock 2 system - do i have to get a bypass?? is that why its not starting? or is it my tach? or some other wiring problem? has anybody ever hooked up a remote start and got it to work without the bypass module?? which one should i get?

thanks a lot for your help

jose23 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, you need a bypass kit for the passlock 2 . Dei 555L is the one I used .

-Jose

jose23 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  

By the way, you can grab the tach wire (you'll still need the bypass module) right behind the instrument cluster (gauges).  It'll be the WHITE wire that's right next to a GREEN / WHITE one.

-Jose

jose23 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
and that's assuming that it's an automatic and NOT diesel...
mlaurenza 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds to me like a bypass problem.

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
bisdhawks25,
"do i have to get a bypass?? is that why its not starting? or is it my tach? or some other wiring problem? has anybody ever hooked up a remote start and got it to work without the bypass module?? which one should i get?"
Yes, it is a combination of both. You will need a bypass. NO EXCEPTION! Get the GM SL or anything similar with a single wire connetion the vechile DATA/Diagnotic plug. That is the simplest in my opinion. Anything like these will do..
"GMC, SIERRA, 2001, Tachometer
ECM is located near the battery, down low, between the fender and the fan under the black plastic cover. On the 4.3L, the tach wire is at pin 20 in the connector labeled red. On the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L, the tach wire is located at pin 10 in the red connector."
On your mulitimeter you have to switch it over to AC measurment, not DC to measure the tach signal.
If you have a factory alarm you will also need to make connection to that as well.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2001 gmc sierra remote start problem -- posted image.
bisdhawks25 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
i tried the white wire behind the instrument cluster already, and it did not give me any change in reading as the rpms went up, thats why i never hooked it up.......so, is everybody thinking bypass??
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
To measure the tach you need to change your meter to AC... go to a fuel injector plug.  Its usually a two pin plug.  there will be a couple of 2 pin plugs.  all plugs have a wire thats the same color.  example, all may have a wire thats red.  The other wire would be your tach signal.  It would meausre between 1V-6V but on fuel injectors it will be  a lower voltage read.  you must have that wire connected before remote starting.  if you cant find it you can program your 791 with a bitwriter and change the setting from tach learning to voltage reading.  if you dont have the bitwriter go to the manual and look for that setting and program accordingly.  after doing all that try to remote start.  if it remote starts then your  done, if it doesnt then leave the key inside(off position) and try to remote start again.  if it remote starts then you need a bypass for that vehicle.
bisdhawks25 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
i have 4 wires coming off of each injector....so far, it has not ever started with the key in the ignition... and other ideas?
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
without the tach wire being connected key or no key it still will not start unless the tach is programed
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic