rough method for clipping detection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
wormy wrote:

So, according to your statement, my test measures the peak voltage since the voltmeter is measuring the RMS voltage and because the only thing it is averaging is the peak voltage then the number it is outputing is the peak voltage.  So, with that figure, I can take the Root Mean Square of that number and have a rough idea of the highest unclipped voltage.  Does that sound okay to you?  I appreciate the input zhalverson!  I've been hoping for that advice all day.

Please do keep in mind that I am competing in SPL competitions and that I am not interested in the RMS Wattage that was established with the intention of avoiding the meltdown of the adhesives holding the voice coils in place.  I am more interested in the wattage that will drive the driver to its Xmax limitations.

I don't think that's correct.  Your voltmeter is already giving you averaged readings, not peak to peak.  If it was peak to peak your test would be correct actually because as soon as the voltage stopped going up you'd be clipping and you'd be able to set your gains.  Unfortunately that's not how it works.  When it clips it goes to max/min voltage and stays there (square wave) and then rapidly switches.  Here ya go: http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/distn101.htm. Much easier to understand with a picture.  Since the voltmeter sees longer max and min values it averages them and gives a higher reading.  Thus once again you're not going to be able to tell when your amplifier goes into clipping.  Just can't do it.

Also you do not need to necessarily give max. rms power not to mention exceeding it, to get your sub to reach xmax.   That is very dependent on your enclosure and frequencies being played.  Since you're competeing in SPL i'm sure you're aware of the importace of the enclosure, tuning frequencies, matching your vehicle's peaks and all that?

wormy 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

I appreciate the link.  I'll look into it after I grab a shower.

I agree with what your saying.  I'll have to spend a little more time with this to try and fully understand the concept.  Those graphs should help.

I'm tuning for a 70 Hz peak.  I was building to the 70 Hz resonance frequency, but after analyzing the curves in a program, I determined that that was not the best course of action.  If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

...typically, I just run whatever I randomly pick up off the floor.
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab
MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
I'll start another topic for the SPL ideas if you would like for me to give you an idea of what I am doing if you might be interested in helping me.
MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
The link helped somewhat, but I think I'll need to look it over abit more to fully grasp the concept.  Thanks again.
MECA member
Team CSS
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic