icon

haemphyst's new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
I like three, not that my opinion should be respected, but because I don't have a car to work on and I am living life through you.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Alright kiddies... I've decided. The numbers in WinISD made me decide on the VERY do-able, and seemingly UNBELIEVEABLY respectable, isobarik vented option... Yes, option 3!
Specs:
2 TC-1000 10 inch drivers, isobarik, face to face
1.2 cubic feet tuned to 25Hz (I know... huh? LOL)
Slot vent, 1 inch wide, 15 inches tall (these dimensions MIGHT change, but 15 square inches, nonetheless)
50 inch port length
Subsonic filter, implemented @ 22 to 24Hz, @ 48dB slope
1000WRMS input power, or 500WRMS per driver, series parallel wired for 4 ohm load.
Here's the plot...
20Hz - 102dB @ 19ms
25Hz - 110dB @ 43ms
30Hz - 110dB @ 19ms
35Hz - 109dB @ 7.6ms
40Hz - 108dB @ 4.8ms
45Hz - 108dB @ 3.5ms
50Hz - 108dB @ 2.9ms
55Hz - 108dB @ 2.4ms
I love that 2-3dB peak between 20 and 30Hz, because I can EQ that OUT... Yeah, the group delay leaves a LITTLE bit to be desired, but in the car, at those frequencies... It's not gonna matter, I think. Also it's easier to start with box/cabin GAIN, and remove it, than it is to EQ it back in if it's missing... I'll still end up with an overall system SPL of 108dB... FLAT to 20Hz!!!! (actually, I'm thinking 111 to 114 "in car" output SPL) From a single 10" woofer! I'm thinking that for a single 10, this system'll knock yer socks off! I think I'm gonna be happy, FINALLY!!! Let me know what you guys think! PLEASE!!!
Sarcomax, I respect everybody's opinion... I often live vicariously! haemphyst's new system - Page 3 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Very nice Dave.  I've built ISO systems many times and they can be quite satisfying, especially in a car.  You may need to experiment a bit with end geometry since those TC Sounds woofers have fairly large magnet structures.   "Flat to 20Hz" may or may not be the case after you get it mounted, as the theoretical curve from Win ISD will change drastically what with cabin gain etc. but I'm sure it'll be nothing your devastatingly effective EQs can't handle.  Or you could always use a Linkwitz Transform to flatten your bottom end....  :)
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I know, but in the car, I don't think there's going to be any LOSS... if anything, it'll be 1 to 2dB hotter at 20Hz, so, again, I can EQ it out. I know... those woofers are AMAZINGLY large drivers! But I do have (as of right now) plenty of space for them both. I'm sure my "devastatingly effective" EQs will do a fine job... Pretty sure, anyway, with all of their processing capabilities, I'll be able to make do! I am so close now, I can almost TASTE it! haemphyst's new system - Page 3 -- posted image.
I'm just hoping for LINEAR... Oh, and DEEP...
hu,hu.. he said "deep"...
Anybody wanna buy an amplifier!?!
Bob, I'll have more fundage coming your way tomorrow! Payday, YEA!!!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

Oh you will be linear, especially with ISO mounting.  No worries there.  And I bet your car's cabin gain will be more like +6db around 55-65Hz and more like -2db @ 20hz... which tells me your slight hump will end up being a good thing and you will be cutting around 63Hz.  You can probably clam shell mount those monster drivers.

By the way kiddies, that is a great deal on a really good amp.  If I needed one right now...

Support the12volt.com
wormy 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
I mean just build a particle board test box.  If you like the sound in that setup, then you know you'll love it in MDF!
...typically, I just run whatever I randomly pick up off the floor.
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab
MECA member
Team CSS
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Fundage, boy do I like fundage. LOL
There is no such thing as free installation!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

this is haemphyst, again, sitting in tcss's store, the man is playing the enabler again....

Sitting there on the other side of the counter, spending my money again, but I will be going home with a pair of Alpine PDX 4.150's, a PDX 1.1000, and the new iDA-X001...  Thanks, Bob...  (be sure you all read the sarcasm dripping from that!)

I will be letting everybody know how it all turns out, as the situation arises...

There is no such thing as free installation!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Dave, do you have the ability to test the power output of those Alpine PDX amps at load over time?  Those things are so small, I'm curious to see if they actually put out close to rated power over time, or if there is a lot of sag.

BTW, the system looks like a good design.  It's been a long time since I've seen an isobaric design being used.

haemphyst 
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Well the birth certificate says 1176watts RMS for the 1.1000, 152wpc RMS for one of the 4.150s, (which will be the one bridged to the Adire 6.8's for about 330wpc, dynamic power, of course) and 176wpc RMS for the other 4.150. Nice...
As far as "over time"? I could probably come up with SOME method of measuring... I'll see what's up with that!
I do have some very high hopes for the iso loading of those woofers. I am actually drawing the rack/enclosure right now! MIGHT just fit! LOL
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic