icon

remote start issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fst100 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

My car’s a 98 pontiac grand prix GTP.  I have a Viper 160XV remote start and alarm.  Its been working great for over a year now.  I didn’t use solder, but mainly used wire crimps to tap the ignition/starter/(un)lock wires together.  I have the module just under the carpeted area near the hood latch/button.  Just yesterday after watchin Oceans 13 I went out to my car and pressed on my remote to activate the cars ignition.  It was raining and I accidentally left my windows open a bit.  Nothing started and when I pressed the unlock button still nothing.  I then noticed the LED light was on but very dim(suppose to be blinking to show its working. 

After turning the key and starting the car the LED was showing full bright.  I tried pressing both lock/unlock but the alarm/horn didn’t activate.  So I decided to unplug the main/primary wiring harness on the module just in case.  This morning I decided to see if I could troubleshoot the problem.  I double-checked to ensure no fuses were blown and they’re all OK.  I also made certain the ground wire off the primary harness was still being grounded and it is.  I then decided to replug the primary harness but when I did the module made the starter run, but the ignition was not being activated, so the starter was basically just running by itself.  When I noticed this for the 3-4 seconds I quickly disconnected the primary harness.  I thought it’d be the tach wire but its still tapped, with wire crimp, behind the dash overlay.  I then looked under the dash, and made certain all the wire crimps were tight and they appear to be.  I then unplugged the remote start ribbon harness off the module and replugged the primary, the starter didn’t turn on.  So I know it might have to do with either the remote start ribbon or the heavy gauge relay satellite that connects to it and also goes to the wiring harness on the car. 

My question is, why would the starter want to turn over when I would try to reconnect everything-remote start ribbon into module-but not have the ignition come on as well?  Im at a loss now, and I am in need of some serious help.  Thanks in advance. 

Btw the module didn’t seem to be wet from the rain, but when I was driving the car yesterday b4 unplugging the primary harness, I belive I heard a distinct ‘foil scrapping’ sound coming from the module, and I think a live wire was touching the chassis causing spark.  I don’t know for certain, just an assumption from the sound.  When I stopped the car, and checked I heard nor saw anything unusual.  Sorry for the long story. 

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a trip to someone who can properly install a remote start/alarm maybe a wise investment.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Well.....I can make the long story very quick and short. Take that unit out before you burn your car to the wheels. Compare the price of a new remote start, to the cost of replacing your car. I wouldn't even spend the time trouble shooting this thing. Thats just the way I am. Catastophic failure.remote start issue -- posted image.
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
i appreciate the advice, but i am very curious on if i can do/fix this myself.  im thinking since the fuses are not blown, it may be the heavy gauges wires loosing contact at the wure crimp in the ignition, 2nd ignition, starter, or the wait to start wire.  im thinking of disconnecting and rewiring the heay gauges with a more solid tap/connect.  but does anyone know what might be the culprit please?  much appreciated.
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
....sighremote start issue -- posted image.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
u should listen to extremej
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

You sound like you're determined, so I'll give it a shot. dei units are known to crank the starter when you plug in main harness with all the fuses in. Same with if you disconnect the positive post of the battery and reconnect, the unit will attempt to start and keep cranking, so this was probably a fluke. As far as your dim LED light, this right here signifies something is definitely wrong. Ground is the first thing tech support will tell you to check. I recommend using the factory ground wire and tapping into it. If this doesn't fix your problem, start systematically eliminating your "crimp connectors" I assume you mean t taps "I didn’t use solder, but mainly used wire crimps to tap the ignition/starter/(un)lock wires together" and put the wires copper to copper and use 3m 33+ tape to wrap them tightly. This car is one of the easiest remote start installs out there and 80% of the wires are in the ignition harness, just clean the stuff up and you will find that one of your crimp connections that appear to be good aren't. Hope it doesn't burn down.....

My rifle is my friend...
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
thank you customak47 for your help. thats very informative about the DEIs. i know that whenever the batteries disconnected then reconnected the remote module would atempt to crank the motor over and the motor starts up, if the hood pin switch is not grounded. i'll double check the main ground wire as well as invest in what you recommend, "3M 33+ tape". can i get that at Lowes/Home Depot?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
I did see just one DEI remote starter that did pretty much what you describe..........when powered up, it would crank the starter (but not power the ignition).
Also, the first step would be to disconnect the main brain, and test EVERY wire at ALL the connectors. Since you installed this yourself, I assume you have a test light or meter, and the ability to use it.
Test all of the wires, DIRECTLY at the Viper's plug----ground, constant, and all the rest.
If one of those wires doesn't test out right, there most be a poor connection or a broken wire; find and repair it.
If all the wires do test out right, the Viper brain is probably the problem.
If you have a warranty, get it replaced. If you don't have a warranty, unscrew the case of the brain, see if it got damp/wet/rusty inside. If it's damp, try leaving it somewhere hot and sunny for a day or two, like on the dashboard of a parked car with the windows up.
Take note that one of the screws for the brain box is usually covered by a sticker, which is why I suggest taking it apart ONLY if you can't get it replaced under warranty-----if they see the case has been opened, they may not want to replace it.
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Time to take the brain out and give it a wiff! Smell that ish! you might have toasted it. you metioned your LED fading and after starting the vehicle with the key it became bright again. Check voltage on your battery as well. What did you use for pk3 bypass?
SUM up what exactly is wrong with your ride. From what i read and remembered to me it sounds like you have a fried brain.
"dont ground out!"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic