the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

relocating deck location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
not neccessarily.  are not overhead monitors installed on headliners?  i agree some extra support shoulbe be used, but headliners themselves are actually quite strong.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Not my shop or any of the other shops I have worked at... We always secured the units to hardpoints. Headliners tend to exagerate(sp?) the road bumps and in the case of heavier units, they buckle the headliners more often than not after a year or so and then the headliner will need to be repaired for the bend in the pressboard.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Installer_mss 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
i usually use 1/4" plywood or mdf behind the headliner and use a large piece to distribute the weight over a large surface area.  i have never had any returns or repairs but with heavier monitor i do mount it to the cross brace if possible or liquid nails 1/2" mdf  to the roof.
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
poundinblazer 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
hmm i like both your opinions and im still deciding on how to go about this. can i see any pics of install yall have on overhead monitors so i can see both of your sides (i do understand what your talking about would like to see it so i can decide what would be more likely better for my situation). Thank you both for your inputs.
phill_667 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't had the headliner out of a Blazer, but every other vehicle I've had it out of at least had a support behind the windshield, going between the a-pillars. Ths is what the visors were mounted to and, probably, an overhead console would be braced to. My Vega actually had an inner roof panel, like a second roof, about 1" from the actual roof.

Personally I wouldn't rely on the headliner to support the weight of a deck, but I've never tried it either so it could work quite well.

Phill

bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
I'm basing my answer on the location of the overhead... I don't think the unit is going to be in a zone that will be difficult to access for the driver. It'll be at the front of the headliner, where he won't be able to distribute the weight over a large area. It'll be close to an edge that is only supported by the visors and the front edge roll of the headliner itself. Not very strong. If the unit was to be installed in an area where the weight could be distributed better (such as the middle like a traditional overhead) then I would recommend my option and present the option that MSS said.
Installer_mss 
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
with the unit being that close to the front the visors would actually help hold some of the wieght.  we are talking about a head unit...not a 30 pound amplifier.  the vehicle has to have support at the front for the safety of the passengers and the weight of the windshield and downforce of the wind.  none-the-less, the more support the better...i think the universal underdash pod thingy is not going to look very custom, though it would work.
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

INSTALLER_MSS wrote:
with the unit being that close to the front the visors would actually help hold some of the wieght.  we are talking about a head unit...not a 30 pound amplifier.  the vehicle has to have support at the front for the safety of the passengers and the weight of the windshield and downforce of the wind.  none-the-less, the more support the better...i think the universal underdash pod thingy is not going to look very custom, though it would work.
hehe... ^-^ Thank you... it isn't a 30 lb amp, but it is still an amplifier. Use the headliner if you want support, but you can never make something too strong.

Ganbatte ne!

Installer_mss 
Posted: June 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
word
beermonkey 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
ever think about just putting the face up there? way back i did it in my probe. i used a computer harness i found at a local computer place that had enought wires in it and solderd them to the connections on the deck where the face would connect and connected them to the face and all i had to do was glue a littte tab down that let the radio think the face was on. you could pu tthe headunit in the glove box and just mount the face up by the mirror. i put mine onthe visor and re-wraped the visor. ill try to find pics but this was when digital cameras were $800 for a 2 megapixel so i didnt have one but i know i have regular pics somewhere
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic