the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

custom diy, box, deafening, pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
oh, and what are you using for the deadening material?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Very nice. I did the same thing in my wife's Saturn SL2. Well, I used a premade box and attached it onto a similar board/door configuration.

We built it at a custom cabinet shop my friend worked at and used piano hinges. As has been previously mentioned those would probably be a nice improvement. Do you still have the carpet that you pulled out? I stapled the original carpet over the board and door. It happened to match the premade boxes carpeting.

What is that dampening material? Doesn't look like dynamat.

'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
stealthfade 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
The write-up on the dampening material is all in my original post. It was B-Quiet Extreme. Cheap stuff.
Yes, I still have my original side carpeting. Haven't had a chance to put it back in yet, as my car is still in the shop.
It will be similar to the carpet I bought for the box, but the box carpet is a lot thicker.
I will look into these piano hinges since everyone is so fond of them.
stealthfade 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
hamzter wrote:
right on...
I see that you have some type of caulking going on. I that holds it together well enough.
are there enough screws? I use wood glue and air brads to build my boxes and then fiberglass the inside.
I think I used somewhere around 30 screws on the thing. And then I caulked it to seal the air in. It holds the weight of a man, so its strong. Can you define air brads for me?
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Air brads, he just talking about using like an air nail gun and the small size nails, like finishing nails, that go in them. Using an air nailer just makes putting the box together a little easier than say trying to hold two pieces of wood together with one hand and using the other to screw in a screw. I usually use the nailer to hold it together then drive in some screws. But glued properly and good joints, a person could just use the nail gun. Just different ways of doing things.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
custom diy, box, deafening, pics - Page 2 -- posted image.A small pic of a piano hinge.
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2007 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
tdsteele wrote:
...But glued properly and good joints, a person could just use the nail gun. Just different ways of doing things.
and since I resin the inside and do a couple layers of fiberglass, the box is water tight and strong.
you probably can crank out a couple of boxes to my one, but my box is pretty strong too.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
stealthfade 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Got my car back finally, but apparently there is still some more damage that needs to be fixed tomorrow.
Carpeted
Went on down to Home Depot and picked up a 6x8 roll of carpet, which is more than enough as the MDF board I bought only a 4x8 sheet. Laying it on top of the box, we cut the ends off and started gluing it down. We used "Stuck Up" for the adhesive, which worked really well.
The sides need to be fixed, but it ended up pretty good. I also need to add some carpet to the inside of my trunk as a little of the deafening still shows, which looks really tacky. In addition, I will be carpeting the underside of the box as it has been rubbing on the deafening and wearing it down. But here are the pictures of what it looks like so far.
custom diy, box, deafening, pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
custom diy, box, deafening, pics - Page 2 -- posted image.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Nice and clean....I like it so far..
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
yeah man, lookin good.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic