icon

resin hardens

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fl_boi 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Why is it that my resin hardens inside the container before I can apply it all to my door.? Also, about how much resin should it normally take to do a complete door panel or subwoofer box?
PHA, Washington Jurisdiction
F&A Masons
mjmauto 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
You are using too much hardener. On the resin container it should have the proper mixing instructions.
slange22 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Contrary to what most believe, resin hardens with the help of UV light and NOT heat. If you are glassing in direct sunlight in the dead of summer, your resin will gel and harden faster that you can occomplish anything. Using too much hardener doen't help either.
Don't under estimate the knowledge of an ol' man
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
resin hardens by using a catylist (mekp), once you add the catylist it creates a chemical reaction with the resin causing it to get hard, and a byproduct of that is heat. resin will harden faster in hot humid conditions and slower in colder conditions. the more ahrdner you add the faster it will dry, but it will also be more brittle and shrink more.
Sessland 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
a good starting point is using 10 drops of hardener per ounce of resin.
if it gels and hardens too fast, use 7 drops per ounce.
g-twizzl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2007 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Try mixing resin in smaller batches like a quart or pint at a time, until you are completely familiar with the work time of the resin. Also it is hard to gauge how much resin will complete the job, this will be determined by the thumb pressure test; after curing press with thumb, if flexing then layer up; if not flexing then ok.
One last thing, if you are not using a roller and a squeegee in addition to your paintbrush you might consider starting; the roller to flatten the mat and remove bubbles, and the squeegee to skim the resin so it doesn't puddle--resin alone will not make the structure strong. Good Luck, keep on trying and keep posting.
astronut74 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

g-twizzl wrote:
Try mixing resin in smaller batches like a quart or pint at a time,

A Quart At a time??!! Holy crap that's way too much at one time! I live in Florida and my batches are limited to about 6 or 7 oz . I work outside in the sun, as I don't have a garage. The resin I use asks for 8 drops MEKP per oz of resin. I usually only use 6 drops and still have a small amount  that hardens before I can use it all.

Another thing to consider is what brand resin you are using. When I first started fiberglassing I used West Marine resin (which sucks by the way) and only got about 10 minutes work time out of it. But Us Composites B-440 resin will get you about 30 -45 min work time. Again it depends on how much MEKP is used, outside temps etc.

jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

slange22 wrote:
Contrary to what most believe, resin hardens with the help of UV light and NOT heat. If you are glassing in direct sunlight in the dead of summer, your resin will gel and harden faster that you can occomplish anything. Using too much hardener doen't help either.

And how do you think the UV light makes the resin go hard? Its because UV light can be used as a heating source.  The resulting reaction is exothermic

When you mix you MEKP hardener with a polyester resin, it lowers the activation energy of the styrene monomer in the resin.  This then means that the resin is able to set at lower temperatures.  If you expose a resin mix to an isolated heat source it will eventually cure (will be very brittle thou becuase you are forcing the monomers to bond).  When your working in the sunlight you are working in the heat.  Hotter conditons means that the resin sets faster as there is more free engery at elevateed temperatures.  Colder wokring conditions require more hardener to further lower the activation engery.

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
mr beta 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
So I'll resurrect this thread and ask a question rather than posting a new one. Will the quicker curing via the sun's help make the glass more brittle?
slange22 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  

I appreciate your knowledge of physics, but...

a black light is a UV light source. Have you ever felt a black light get hot? Probably not. I understand the whole MEKP (methyl ethyl keytone peroxide) concept. I will however contradict what you said. Experiment. Mix a batch of resin and spread it over two different projects. Place BOTH in the dark and use a black light over one. UV from a black light does not travel far, so the two can be in the same room (garage). They both will cure, but I bet my left one the UV assisted project cures first.

Don't under estimate the knowledge of an ol' man
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic