the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 exact same amplifiers to 1 dvc sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Are you saying he can wire one coil of his dual voice coil woofer out of phase with the other coil and it will not hurt anything?
Yep... That's EXACTLY what I'm saying...
swerks wrote:
i think he is
2 exact same amplifiers to 1 dvc sub? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Flakman wrote:
Haem is correct...it would sound like wet doodie...but won't hurt the woof.
Probably wouldn't sound like much at all... Two voice coils wired out of phase will have very LITTLE output. But you're right, no damage (as in zero...) would occur.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
i am an idiot wrote:
Are you saying he can wire one coil of his dual voice coil woofer out of phase with the other coil and it will not hurt anything?
Yep... That's EXACTLY what I'm saying...
swerks wrote:
i think he is
2 exact same amplifiers to 1 dvc sub? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Flakman wrote:
Haem is correct...it would sound like wet doodie...but won't hurt the woof.
Probably wouldn't sound like much at all... Two voice coils wired out of phase will have very LITTLE output. But you're right, no damage (as in zero...) would occur.
wouldn't it heat up the coils though??
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
You would think.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Why?  Why would one electrical signal cause a coil to heat up any more than any other electrical signal?
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Read the stickies, kids!
It won't hurt the woofers at all!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
it shouldnt if you think about it the DVC speakers are basically two speakers in one itd be no diffrent then if you have to seprate speakers on to diff amps....
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
i was just saying....since the coil won't be moving as much but still receiving the same amount of power right??
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
i was just saying....since the coil won't be moving as much but still receiving the same amount of power right??

This is a misconception I had for a very long time too.  The truth is as long as you do not exceed the thermal power rating of the voice coil, it can remain stationary without damage.  Two signals 180 degrees out of phase at exactly the same levels applied to a DVC speaker will theoretically result on zero cone movement, and the end result will simply be heat.  But no damage will occur unless you exceed the speaker's power ratings, and then damage will occur anyway.  So the reason to match the signals going to separate amps used to power a DVC speaker is to minimize self-cancellations that will limit output levels.

Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

i may have overread it but im not sure if anyone gave the writer of the post any ideas on how to properly set the gains so that you know for certain that both amps are putting out the same amount. as we should know, not all "3/4 of the way up" are equal.

one thing I do in these rare occassions that I actually have to put an amp on each coil is use my DMM and measure the voltage output of one amp at the bridging/mono channels (without anything connected) with it set at whatever level I'm wanting it at. Then I match the voltage on the second amp to the first. Once matched, I connect the coils to the amps. This way, you are certain that the output is equal for the best results.

DYohn 
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
The output does not need to be "equal," just the same input signal and in phase.   It doesn't really have to be even the same input signal.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic