the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 exact same amplifiers to 1 dvc sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

so you are saying that you are going to get the best sub performance if one coil is seeing more power than the other? forgive my ignorance here but i would think that if you are going to have a dvc sub perform at an optimal level, then both coils need to be active... at least that's what I've always practiced and was taught. i was always advised too that you want both coils to move as one in order to have the best output.

for example, if one coil is wired to an amp with the gain set at 3/4 of the way up, you would ideally want the other coil to see the same amount of power for the best performance. if it doesnt matter, then whats the point of having a dvc sub (aside from an easy way to get a 1ohm load with one sub)?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

The only point to a DVC sub (or any other DVC speaker) is for connection flexibility.  Yes, for maximum output performance maxing a speaker's power handling capability is one approach.  But let me be clear: you can connect any amplifier signal you want to use to each voice coil of a DVC speaker and as long as you don't exceed the coils power handling ability, it wont matter.  There is no reason why the power levels need to be the same.  If you want to connect a 200 watt amp to one coil and a 100 watt amp to the other, you can.  As long as the signals are in phase, the effect will be additive. 

Dual amps on a DVC woofer is no big deal.  I've used dual amps on a DVC sub with one crossed over higher than the other to achieve the desired blend with the midbass drivers (I needed more power below a certain frequency, so for example one coil was driven by a 500 watt amp below 60Hz and the second coil driven by a 300 watt amp below 100Hz.)

Support the12volt.com
mustang_pumpin 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

wow thanks for all the helpful info from you all!!!!

not sure if i made it clear or even mentioned for that matter that the amps im using are all phoenix gold OctaneR 1500w mono amplifiers which all have the abilitiy to have them all connect with only one being the MASTER amp and the others being the SLAVE amps... which means the master amp can be set so that whatever the master ampo settings are is what they all are!! the master amp can be set to bypass all slave amp settings!!!   hope you all understand what im saying here!!!

anyways i have all things understood about the question i posted about!!! THANKS everyone for your info!!

but now during the process of starting to build my enclosure for the subs.. ive ecountered a lil confusion about the specs for my subs  (which again are Cerwin-Vega Stroker 12" DVC 2ohm Subwoofers)

the following pictures are from the install manual that came with the subs....  https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/DaShizNit74/Strokerinstallmanual.jpg    https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/DaShizNit74/Strokerinstallmanuall.jpg      from what i see in the 1st picture for Spkr vol. displacement it says 0.16 cu.ft. and in 2nd picture it says for sealed enclosure the Box Volume: 1.1 cu.ft. which correct me if im wrong... is what they recommend the enclosure volume should be for this sub!?!?!

ok after i started and finished markin out all the pieces needed for the enclosure i came across this info from the Cerwin-Vega website, at this following link  http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/CVM_enclosures.html      the info on this webpage for sealed enclosure volume for the Stroker 12" should be 1.5 cu.ft.

therefore this leaves me confused on what the manufacturer recommended box volume should actually be!!!!

anyone have any suggestions or anything to what the actual manufacturer recommened Volume is CORRECT????? 

any help ASAP would be awesome..... and thanks ahead of time and thanks again for all previous info!!!!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
According to the manual the recommended enclosure size is 1.75 to 2.25 cuft ported, tuned to about 35Hz.
Support the12volt.com
mustang_pumpin 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
According to the manual the recommended enclosure size is 1.75 to 2.25 cuft ported, tuned to about 35Hz.

actually i just talk to Cerwin-Vega's costumer support & for a sealed enclosure the Volume is 1.5 cu.ft

so everyone disregard my previous reply about this!!!!

thanks

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic