dual speakers with only 3 wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gumbycw 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have some Recaro seats with dual Blaupunkt speakers in the headrests. I am trying to hook them up to my deck, but there is only 3 wires and not 4 from the speakers. Using a 9 volt battery I have found that they seem to be sharing a ground wire. Can I hook the positives from the speakers to the correct positive of the deck and the 1 ground from the speakers to a single ground off of the deck, or should I combine both grounds from the deck and connect that to the single ground from the speakers? Any help would be appreciated. I would have just connected my own wires right from the speakers if they weren't sewn into the seats. Thanks

Caleb
My tombstone will read "Still plays with cars"
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
ok a ground is a ground so u can combine or just connect the one its upto u, c which one ur deck works with
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

A ground is a ground, if it is a ground.   If your radio was manufactured in the last 15 years or so, chances are it is a high powered unit.  This means that there is signal on the negative speaker wire. 

I would not try connecting the negative speaker wires together.

gumbycw 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry,

I think I labelled the wires incorrectly. There is a common wire between the 2 speakers is really what the post should have said. I don't actually know if it is a negative or positive. Just that it works with both speakers. With this being the case, I am looking for help in how I should wire up these speakers. Sorry if I didn't explain this well in my original question. Thanks

Caleb
My tombstone will read "Still plays with cars"
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Three wires for two speakers is a "common ground" system and as mentioned above, should not be used with most modern head units.  You will need to rewire the speakers and split the grounds (or negatives.)
Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

I'm wanting to say that the speakers are sharing the ground, they are probably 2 8ohm speakers in parallel for a 4ohm load on the amp (if they are 2 4ohm speakers in parallel for a 2ohm load, your HU's internal amp may not work). I think you should connect both +'s from the left headrest to either the left front or left rear +, and the the one - to the same output channels' -. For the right headrest, do the same, but on the right side of the HU's outputs (the same, front or rear, as the left side).

You really need to do some impedance and polarity checks first.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

The speakers are mounted in a seat.  there is one on the left side of his head and one on the right.  

It would probably not be too hard to remove the top half of the seat.  Then you should be able to get the fasteners on the bottom of the seat back.  Remove the fasteners and you should be able to slide the cover off of the seat and rewire the speakers.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
If each headrest has two speakers, for stereo sound, why would they be made to share a common ground if most amps cannot support this (in stereo operation, that is)?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

jmelton86 wrote:
If each headrest has two speakers, for stereo sound, why would they be made to share a common ground if most amps cannot support this (in stereo operation, that is)?

It could be an old seat.  But your point is well taken: the speakers could safely be used mono on one channel of an amp that can handle the impedance.

Support the12volt.com
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

It could be an old seat.  But your point is well taken: the speakers could safely be used mono on one channel of an amp that can handle the impedance.

I ditto that point. However, having one half of a stereo signal right behind your ears would really suck sonically. I could see using two channels bridged so that you at least get both channels merged instead of only one half of a stereo signal. If you were to play any music with that is recorded with any degree of separation, the sound would get hollow depending on which side had the vocals, etc.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic