icon

nondirectional below 80hz?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

I think it's because of the huge 60Hz cabin gain that's throwing me off. I now have the lpf on the HU set to 80Hz, and also 80Hz on the external MTX x-over, so I think it's knocking the cabin gain down a good bit. I'm going to keep my front components h/p'd at 80Hz and tweak the EQ's to my liking. My system's nothing major.

It has taken me awhile to get it right, but I'm going to skip the idea of getting more subs. You all are right, it's pointless. I'll use the G5 to it's fullest -to 80Hz.

Please bare with me, I'm a -very- novice wannabe audiophile. I appreciate everyones input.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Don't use two LP filters at the same or similar setting on the same signal.. Use either the HU or the external Xover but not both.
Support the12volt.com
hemanjoyman 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn,
The same applies for HP filters right??? Only use one xover, either the headunit's crossover or the amp's crossover, not both.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

hemanjoyman wrote:
DYohn,
The same applies for HP filters right??? Only use one xover, either the headunit's crossover or the amp's crossover, not both.

Correct.  Either disable one or set it way out of the passband of the other.

Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

Alright, I'll disable the HU's lpf and only use the RTX01As.

My initial question was -or should have been- is 80Hz the absolute cutoff point for nondirectional sound or can it be a bit higher?

Thanks, everyone, for their input.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey DYohn, one more question for you:
My headunit has only a setting for 50Hz, 80Hz, and 125Hz for LP. Should I set the headunit to 80Hz and my amps crossover to 200Hz LP or just turn off the amps crossover, since I can't turn the headunits crossover off??? By the way, I am using the JL Audio 500/1.
DYohn 
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

My initial question was -or should have been- is 80Hz the absolute cutoff point for nondirectional sound or can it be a bit higher?

Thanks, everyone, for their input.

THX and most audio theorists say 80Hz is the frequency where sounds begin to become directional.  Some researchers think it is actually a little lower than that.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

hemanjoyman wrote:
Hey DYohn, one more question for you:
My headunit has only a setting for 50Hz, 80Hz, and 125Hz for LP. Should I set the headunit to 80Hz and my amps crossover to 200Hz LP or just turn off the amps crossover, since I can't turn the headunits crossover off??? By the way, I am using the JL Audio 500/1.

If you cannot bypass the Xover on the amp, setting it up at some higher frequency like 200Hz is the way to go.

Support the12volt.com
hemanjoyman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
I guess I will just have to set the amp to 200Hz LP since I want to continue using the infrasonic filter of the amp. I read the manual, and it states that if I disable the crossover on the amp, the infrasonic filter section will be disabled as well.
Thanks
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic