the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

06 f350 rs issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I would try setting it up for voltage sense and see how that works.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

usabuilt wrote:
Idle speed change DOES affect run time, if at start idle, is 3 to 4%
different than the resting idle it could cause the unit to shut down, I've seen it happen a million times.

Can anyone else explain this to me?

It makes no sence at all. Everything that I know (and I am always looking to learn) tells me there is no way that the tach reading could effect the run time? At least with the Astro product...... The tach is used to stop the starter motor from grinding away at the flywheel.

Am I wrong here?

extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
do alternator sense, works great on those trucks.
tach on those superduty diesels is problematic at best, they work one day then the starter thinks low tach and shuts down.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan,
If you use Astrostart you should notice that it has a "tach reduce" programming feature, either 800, 600 or 500..
I have seen this happen where customers have said it runs for about a "minute", which was more like 20 seconds..and the solution was to reduce the tach setting..
the tach signal not only stops the starter from grinding it also monitors the wire for inconsistent readings, and has over-rev protection..
BTW, If you bury the key on some Fords and it gets very cold outside, it could cause the system to not see a key and not start, I don't think it would start at all if this was the problem though.
BTW some of Astro's newest modules will have a tachless mode for difficult cars..
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
I have had problems with these vehicles in the past also with tach. When I called up directechs they said that the tach signal is weak and you need a tach generating module to get it to work properly. Problem is I haven't been able to get a hold of one.
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
I think Kassdog hit the mark..and now that I remember I did add a tach gererating module on one of these..
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

I got a hold of the customers whip today... yes i said whip.. ballin truck.

Anyway what i had him do this morning is go out to his truck and watch the tach when he R/S it. so he said the truck starts and runs at about 750 rpm for 3-45 ish seconds then idles up to about 1200 rpm (my theory: starts and idles to to get oil flow, then revs up to warm the engine with proper oil flow.. possible?)

anyway i reprogrammed the tach at about 1100, RS it when warm, idles at 750 ish doesnt turn off the remote start.. ok good on that stage, then while under remote start i hit the accelerator pedal and took er up to about 1200, still didnt cut off. so im thinking ok good, i found the mid point on the tach range and hopefully now its going to work, the customer will let me know tommorow the verdict and ill let you guys know. but if the junk still doesnt work im going to put a command start in the truck as i have never had a problem with these units and diesels, lets see what happens.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
750RPM is pretty high for diesel, isnt it? The redline is like 4kRPM or so. I would guess those thing idle about 600RPM.
750RPM is more like gasoline/petrol vehicles.
I do not know too much about diesel but i know they have to be warmed up pretty well to drive bc of the extreme clearance bt the bearings. Thats how the distinctive diesel sound came from. Speeding up the engine would really go against that. again, i dot not know too much to really give a straight answer to your theory.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
I dont know if it is exactly 750, it idles at the first tick below 1000, so i set tach at about 1100 (first tick above 1k?) anyway still waiting to see what happens
Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

you can go to the crank positioning sensor for tach signal also.  i don't know the wire color but you can call up ford and prolly get it. or if anyone has access to alldata.

We've had to hook to the cps before with compustars.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic