icon

Ferrari Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
OK I'm stumped here. Got our 2003 Ferrari Modena 360 up and running. Have a strange engine noise scenario. Definately Alternator whine.Still there when I pull the RCAs out of the amp.Goes away when I unplug the speaker leads. Is stronger out of the right side then the left even when I switch right and left RCAs. Cross overs are mounted in the doors. Equipment is Alpine 9887, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Focal Polyglass 130 V1, JL 8" W3V3 (2). It's only the second time I've used Focal speakers and that car had alt. whine because the Focal cross over was next the ECU and or power wire. The amps are grounded to the car's battery ( passenger footwell ). I've fried my brains all afternoon, any ideas?
P.S. Just ran the amp to a test speaker outside the car and it still has noise.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Wow thats a stumper, so basically you switched the rca's on the amp so the left was going to the right side and you still had right side noise, have you possibly tried switching the speaker wires on the amp itself to see if it is a right channel output problem with the amp? That seems to be the only thing you didn't document trying in your post.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
houndz805 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Did you try to adjust the flux capicator and drive 88 MPH? Maybe that would help... Or how about firing the installer that put that system in the Ferrari in the first place, sounds like he does not know what he is doing. HA!
It was already broken, but I made sure it could never be fixed again.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Need to tell Ya All that Houndz805 was the installer on this job, and there lies the problem. I think we need to change the adaptor rencomeron!
houndz805 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Lol... at least it looks good.
Too bad about those Focals though. Sounds like you are listening to music through fecal covered eardrums.
New name for Focal...Fe Cal. I think I just wized myself laughing.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
The symptom you describe (RCA disconnected and/or switched) sounds like a speaker or speaker wire shorted to ground.  Also look for my favorite PITA problem, a stray speaker wire strand touching the amp chassis.  Could also be induction: where is the amp mounted (not much room inside a Modena, I know!)
Support the12volt.com
houndz805 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
I thought of that too... I connected a test speaker outside or the car with new speaker wire ran directly to the amp. Still had Engine noise.    I hope it is just the amplifier. Both power and ground are wired directly to the battery. Run is less than 8 feet long.
houndz805 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
The amps are mounted upfront in the "trunk" sitting on the floor. Amps aren't mounted down yet figured we should call him first before I make any extra holes in his ferrari. I'm guessing some bracing and some industrial velcro should stick just fine to the carpeted floor.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I think it's just having a dog do the install instead of a human. No opposing thumbs, tough to run wires. I'll get him a bowl of Alpo tomorrow and we will start from scratch. Scratch, like dogs do. LOL
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

All the previous ones i have experience with had the amps flushed in the floor, on mdf. In instances where there are multiple amps, one goes up facing the bumper.

I would reconsider the ground location, not the actual battery, rather the ground point for the battery.

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic