icon

Ferrari Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Dan, that's what I was going to look at first tomorrow.
There is no such thing as free installation!
houndz805 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Considering that the frame and most of the body is aluminum, that wouldn't make any difference.
It was already broken, but I made sure it could never be fixed again.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you're getting it down to two options: bad amp or electrical noise from the ingnition system.  Any chance the car's not using supressor wire for spark?  Cracked distributor cap or plug?  Bruised wiring somewhere?  You might have to add an old-school filter on the coil output... Sounds like time to pop that hatchback and get into the engine...
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
And we thought we were done 10 days before our deadline! Now we find out the car has been in a wreck. The install Gods are punishing us for something. Dumb Dog.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
And we thought we were done 10 days before our deadline! Now we find out the car has been in a wreck. The install Gods are punishing us for something. Dumb Dog.
Well, look at it this way: If the wreck was BAD enough, you don't have to worry about the noise any more! BWAHAHAHA
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
OK in 30 years I've never run acrossed this. Yesterday when we removed the RCAs the noise was still there, however since the sub box isn't ready yet we left the sub RCAs hooked up. Today when we pulled out all the RCAs the noise went away. So I made a set of RCAs where I isolated the shield grounds. When I grounded the deck side the noise went away. When I grounded the amp side the noise got worse. When I connected the shields (as a normal RCA would be) the noise went away and no I'm not touching the wires and using myself as a ground. So here's the best part, when I make the noise go away, and it is completely gone,if I move the volume control on the deck to zero some noise comes back. If I move it to 1, it's completely gone again. I'm going to try another deck. God I want to retire.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
No Ham, the car's been in my shop the whole time. We found some welds in the door that were definately NOT factory. It was in a wreck before it got here. Think this might have screwed up the car's ground?
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
The closest thing to a ferrari that I have worked on was an mr2 with a ferrari body kit, so I can't say for sure, but if you can't get it figured out just blame it on the body shop that did the repair work. It works for the stealerships, so why not for us common folk?
houndz805 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
That's great.
houndz805 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
An MR2 with a Ferrari Body Kit??? Cool. I think I saw one in a dumpster at Planned Parenthood.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic