the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ferrari Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
OK in 30 years I've never run acrossed this. Yesterday when we removed the RCAs the noise was still there, however since the sub box isn't ready yet we left the sub RCAs hooked up. Today when we pulled out all the RCAs the noise went away. So I made a set of RCAs where I isolated the shield grounds. When I grounded the deck side the noise went away. When I grounded the amp side the noise got worse. When I connected the shields (as a normal RCA would be) the noise went away and no I'm not touching the wires and using myself as a ground. So here's the best part, when I make the noise go away, and it is completely gone,if I move the volume control on the deck to zero some noise comes back. If I move it to 1, it's completely gone again. I'm going to try another deck. God I want to retire.

Sounds like a classic ground loop to me.  What's the resistance between the deck chassis and amp ground?

Support the12volt.com
houndz805 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
What should it read David?
It was already broken, but I made sure it could never be fixed again.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Bunch of other questions. Should the system be on? Should I be reading the differance between off and on? Should there be zero resistance when it's off? RCAs plugged in?
There is no such thing as free installation!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I usually always run the HU ground to the heatsink (HU), then ground that to vehicle frame.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ideal ground-to-ground reading should be less than one ohm under all conditions.,  If it changes depending on on/off conditions of gear or engine, then either the gear is faulty or the car's electrical ground plane is poorly designed.  In a Ferrari, I'd guess the latter first.  They are made for go fast and handling, not electrical integrity.  Ferrari or Lambo installations always remind me of boat installs....
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Engine off, stereo off was 2.8 ohms. Ignition on, stereo off was 5.7 ohms. Ignition on, stereo on was 8.9 ohms. Engine on, stereo on was 28.1 ohms. Talk to me David.
There is no such thing as free installation!
DYohn 
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

Try running a dedicated ground cable from battery grounding point to amps ground and to HU ground, and disconnect the gear from the chassis.  Float the amps on MDF.  You may also need to isolate the HU from chassis by using plastic washers or Teflon plumber's tape on the mounting screws. 

Vehicles with composite bodies and aluminum chassis suck.  Electrically, that is.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
Engine off, stereo off was 2.8 ohms. Ignition on, stereo off was 5.7 ohms. Ignition on, stereo on was 8.9 ohms. Engine on, stereo on was 28.1 ohms. Talk to me David.
Ferrari Engine Noise - Page 3 -- posted image.
Geez. Yeah, unless you can do some panel (electrical) bonding you're stuck with floating all of your components. I think that the differences between engine off and engine on (they should be WAY closer than that) also indicate that you are getting a fairly large AC component in there from something (ummm... "something". That's Latin for "alternator".)
I did one Ferarri, and I was done with the marque. Hated it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

wonder what a salvage title farrari 360 is wurth?

the only farrari ive worked on was a  "FARRERO"

its a sweet 89 fiero witha f-50 body kit! lololol lame

houndz805 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Uhhh.... Pontiac stopped making the Fiero in 1988. Maybe Ferrari bought the molds?
It was already broken, but I made sure it could never be fixed again.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic