amp fuse keeps blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
Newbie here... I was installing a amp and subwoofer today and I bumped into a problem. I wired the amp with 4 Gauge wiring from the battery, with a earth from the body and the remote from the previous remote I had connected for my last amp (which was connected to my rears) to a accessories wire (live). Everytime I connect the final wire, I get some nice fireworks coming from where Im connecting it and then the fuses blow. I put a test light between the earth connection and the earth wire and it stopped the fuse from blowing. So Im pretty lost as to where I go from here. Any ideas? While I got the post up, any opinions on soundstream subwoofers and alpine splits? My bro wants to sell them to me.
Cheers in advance
ice32 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
so it works properly with the test light between the earth connection and the earth wire? or does it just stop the fuse from blowing?
shezza 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Well... it only sort of worked, not fully. Subby didnt work.Anyway, I cleaned up the earth connection and it worked. No sparks... the subby was going, i was smiling and then... nothing :S The fuse at the battery blew and it wasnt a once off as it happened the second time too :SGet past one problem, hit head on with another :(
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
It's hard to say what's going on but it could be a bad ground for the amp, or even a defective amp.  One note: you should always disconnect your battery when working on your power system, which prevents "fireworks."
Support the12volt.com
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds as though the amp could have an issue with internal components. It is a rule of thumb to connect ground to device then the power. Remote should be a 12v+ switched from radio power antenna wire or amp turn on wire. Then once these wires are connected, that is when you insert fuse at battery.
shezza 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think I follow the same rule of thumb... Negative off first, on last. As for it being a bad ground, I screwed it to a existing thread in my boot. I sanded back the paint and I dunno... I wish there was a way to test a ground (without some fancy equipment). Im doubtful its the amp... but I will try connecting up my other amp and Ill report back as to how it goes. Off to work now. Cheers guys.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

do this, ground off batt terminal FIRST

1)clean up the place (paint. rust proofing, etc) where you wish to ground your wire.

2)Ground the wire securly.
3)Pull out our head unit, look for a BLUE wire. Usually that is the remote turn on lead or antenna trigger. Run a new wire or exising one again to the back or where your amp sits
4)connect rca cables, put back deck and connect your 12 volt line WITHOUT FUSE
5) Reconnect ground, then add fuse to the wire from batt to amp. Turn on your deck and see if your amp turns on without blowing fuses.

ice32 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
shezza wrote:
I wish there was a way to test a ground (without some fancy equipment)
I dunno what the pros have to say about this but, i test my ground by getting a multimeter and placing one prong on the + and one on the - of the battery once i've found out my battery reading (around 12v).
Then i find a 12v source in the car (e.g amp power lead) put the positive prong on that and then put the negative prong on where i plan to ground and see what the reading is, if its the same as the battery reading its a good ground if its not the same by a pretty reasonable amount then i put it down to bad ground.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2007 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, a multimeter is about as fancy as is necessary (though I'm sure you could get more fancy).
shezza, take tedmond's list, and do what ice32 said to before completing the second step...
if it still does it, i'd sit with DYohn on it being a bad amp... Calling the manufacturer to let them know what's goin on and sending it back for them to double check things never hurts
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic