icon

whats more powerful, kinetik or optima?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveskal 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at either the Optima Yellow Top D34/78, ot the Kinetik HC1800 for my 02 Escalade, both of these batteries are physically about the same size, but which one is more powerful and will laugh in the face of current draw from a large amplifier????
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the Kinetik is DESIGNED for that, but the Optima is designed to last longer. The higher number of plates within the Kinetik GUARANTEE higher (far higher, I might add) current capacity, but the fewer rolled plates in the Optima guarantee longevity. Better vibration resistance, as well...
I would also recommend NOT using the yellow-top, but going with a red-top. Even better current capacity, with longer reserve time than the yellow, but less than one HALF the price of the Kinetik. You can put two of the red-tops in place for the cost of one Kinetik. This will last longer, for the same money, and offer even MORE current capacity than a single Kinetik.
Below are some of the differences between the two Optimas, read and yellow, and the Kintetik
(2) Red Top: around 1600CCA, 2000CA, and 220 reserve minutes
(2) Yellow Top: around 1500CCA, 1740CA and 240 reserve minutes
(1) Kinetik HC1800: around 1900CCA, 1350CA, and 81 reserve minutes
I know what I'd use. But then, it's your money...
I think the point you are missing though, is that the current to run an amplifier DOES NOT come from the battery. What are you doing to address the source of ALL electrical power in the car - your ALTERNATOR?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
I believe my vehicle came with about a 140 or 150 amp alternator stock so I didn't really think it required an upgrade.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ummm.... Yeah, if you're looking for a battery that "will laugh in the face of current draw from a large amplifier", you will have to upgrade your alternator. Stay with me here...
Most manufacturers already load their alternators to around 80%, just for "reliability" purposes, and in the heavily accessory laden world of the 'Calade, you're EASILY at that point already.
150A X 80% = 120A, already being used from the stock alternator.
150A - 120A = 30A to supply your "current draw from a large amplifier".
30A X 14.4 = 432 watts
432 watts * 80% efficiency = 345 watts worth of usable amplifier power.
I don'tknow YOUR definition of "large amplifier", but 345 watts DOESN'T fit my definition. You have to upgrade. Period.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

Interesting. So back to the red top for a moment, I read the post and starting doing some research on these batteries. If they are better than Yellow Tops then how come they are cheaper? Also one of the descriptions I read for a red top actually said right in the description "not recommended for high performance car audio applications"??

haemphyst 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you read ALL of the Optima disclaimers, they all say there is no warranty when used for high-performance car audio applications (at least they USED to), whether "recommended" or not. There ya have it.
Cost means nothing to the performance factor. Also, in my book, they are better, for the above listed reasons. I am just laying out the facts, provided by the manufacturers, so you can make a more informed decision. There is SO much out there, with so many advertisers/manufacturers/advertising departments, sometimes you just need somebody else to lay it out for you - a second pair of eyes, as it were. Performance per dollar, the red-top is the best performer, overall.
Marketing departments are the reason that SACD (went) and Blu-Ray (is going) as well as it (they) did. Both inferior formats, (Sorry, DYohn...) and that's not just me saying that, Sony's advertising is as good as they come, when "telling you what you want", next to Bose. Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD 2:1, here in the 'States, but in the REST of the world, HD-DVD is outselling Blu-Ray 3:1.
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well you 2 guys sure seem like the most well informed so I am willing to just take what you say on blind faith LOL. So is there any particular model number of the red top Optima I should get? I need a side terminal that is why I was looking at the D34/78 in the yellow top which has both top and side. Thanks guys. You rock!
haemphyst 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
If you were going to use the D34/78, the red-top number is the 34/78
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

I found out that the Reds are better than the Yellows after I laid down $120 for 2 of 'em.

At least I got them for half price!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

The reds do kick some butt, I have really taxed mine very hard with my Jeep and a 8000LB warn winch. Although not warranted for it most most people use them over the yellow. There is no amp out there that will tax a battery like useing a winch.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic