icon

whats more powerful, kinetik or optima?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I traded in my Yellow top(s) for Odyessy 1500's and have been very happy. The Odyessy has a six year warranty. My sales expert says he has stopped recommending the Optima due to poor customer service with warranty issues.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Wrong spelling: odyessybattery.com
steveskal 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Just as a follow-up I went an ordered a Red Top Optima for the Escalade. We'll see how well it plays with the JL 1000/1, if having issue's I guess I'll see if I have to upgrade the alternator too.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Good to here, if your pushing it hard the altenator will be the biggest help, that is the next thing on my long list of stuff for my Jeep to help with the loads that my winch puts on it. Let us know how it works out.

steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

I may do the alternator anyway, I saw one for my Caddy on Ebay for like $200 and its a 200 Amp. I think my stock alternator is somewhere between 135-150 amps so this would be quite an increase. The way I figure is I got a real good battery in the way and if the alternator is having a hard time keeping up with the draw from the amp I'll just be reducing the life of the battery if its not being kept fully charged.

Anyway I am glad I picked up the battery, the Escalde is a 2002 and I think its the original battery so it probably didn't have much life left in it anyway. I was doing a project a few months back and had the doors open for a couple hours (interior light on) and couldn't start her after that, had to put the charger on it for a bit, so that tell me it was pretty weak.

ritopkid06 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst This topic interested me and I as well value your opinion greatly. You confused me though when you said Optima doesn't warranty there batteries when used for high performance car audio applications and you said "So there you have it". Sounded like you were saying there not good for our applications and there admitting it but, then you go on to say the red top is the best choice? Could you clarify this?
Thanks,
Anthony (MECP certified Basic, 1year in the industry) yea a newbie...:O)
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
No, they are FANTASTIC (especially the red top) but the OP was using the Optima warranty as a reason to get the yellow top (or NOT get the red top... whichever.) I was just saying that that was not a strong enough argument to get the yellow top.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
So I might as well get your opinion for my Alternator upgrade as well. I'm looking at 2 different companies on Ebay, both are fairly evenly priced, one is a 200 amp, I think the company is Alterstart, and I asked them what it puts out at idle and they said about 75 amps. There is another company I think its like Boss Load or something like that. Their alternators have a bigger case (supposed to still just bolt right in) and are also 200 amps but they claim 110 amps at idle, they are a little more expensive. Do you think it would be worth the extra dough for the one with higher output at idle? Anyone know what the stock unit puts out at idle?  Thanks!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Load Boss is Alterstart. While mine lasted, the alternator was pretty nice. Decent performance and cheap enough...
Call Phil at H-O-Alternators.com Significantly more expensive, but after seeing the build quality, I can completely understand why.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

I have a red top in my G35 and I'm on my second one.  My first one didn't last very long (maybe a year).  I have an OEM stereo in the car, too, so it wasn't from high current draw.

I had absolutely NO problems getting a new new one for free though, so I'm not sure why anyone would have any issues with Optima's warranty.  I didn't even have my reciept.  The shop I bought it through new that it was still within the warranty period so they swapped it out no questions asked.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic