icon

compustar 2wss as, 2003 350z

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skn181 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, I am in the process of installing the compustar 2WSS-AS on my 2003 350z. There are no compustar dealers around my area, so I am attempting this for the first time.  I have spent the past few days learning as much as I could online, but I have a few questions and I just want to make sure everything I am about to do is correct. Thanks!

1. For the remote start to work, does anything special have to be done? I was reading about bypassing the immobilizer and clutch switch. Does any of these things have to be done for the 350z with the Compustar 2WSS-AS alarm? If so, how would I go about doing it?

2. The engine sensing wire on the Compustar...does that connect to the Speed sensing wire on the 350z?

3. Do I have to connect the Compustar 'rearm' and 'disarm' wires to anything? or am I okay since it arms and disarms with lock and unlock?

4. Lastly, I was reading "Single pulse on the unlock wire will disarm the alarm without unlocking the doors. Unlock requires a double pulse." So how do I go about doing this?

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

This is your FIRST attempt at a remote start?

There are people here that will tell you this car is "cake", there are also people her that will tell you to get some help. I am one of the "get help" guys.

The questions you are asking are "basic" questions...... protect your investment and get some help. It does not need to be a Compustar dealer.....just an installer with skill.

I am not saying you cannot complete the task at hand.....but what is your time worth? Learn on a 1990 Honda Civic, not a new 350Z

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I hope this is NOT your first alarm/RS installation. If it is, then lets break it down into two sections, alarm and remote start(RS).
1. Get yourself a diagram or tech-sheet for your vehicle. use the search button.
2. Alarm/keyless entry(KE). First thinng you want to do get right, at least. Do it and post your result.
   a. lock/unlock. dbl unlock is built-in, just change the mode. read, read and read your manual.
   b. disarm. no rearm is required.
   c. triggers(doors, trunk, hood)
   d. siren
   e. Ignition input for your programming.
2. RS can be done/explained in serveral steps:
   a. got to ouput power your IGN, ACC, and starter wires
   b. got to input power/12v to your RS unit
   c. got to give your starter a "SENSE" of reference marking for it to stop cranking, like holding your key for certain duration and let go. That reference marker can be automatic or manual. Which is better? none, theyre both are equal.
    -manual- set your own cranking duration.
    -automatic- set the cranking duration based on engine speed(RPM) to a Tachometer(tach) signal.    
   d. shut down inputs: brake and hood.

Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
The above are the break down of what is involved.
The best thing is to study your diagram/tech-sheet and test all wirings b4 splicing. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
Also, note that I did NOT mention bypassing of the chipped key. The RS is already frustrating enough, so get that done first.
If you want to get it done right, do it the way I posted. Or else youll run into a whole bunch of confusion.
Houston,TX
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Try to do this alarm/KE section and post your result. It will be a lengthy process but you need to be PREPARE. The task is NOT a joke and you need to take it seriously.
12 VOLT CONSTANT        WHITE/ BLUE (+)        @ IGNITION HARNESS
IGNITION 1       BLACK/ RED (+)       @ IGNITION HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS ( + )        RED / BLUE (+)        IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, Harness to Rear of Vehicle.
POWER LOCK        RED (TYPE B) See NOTE *1        @ DRIVERS DOOR Module in Drivers Door, Pin 6
POWER UNLOCK       LIGHT BLUE (TYPE B) Requires Double Pulse, See NOTE *1       @ DRIVERS DOOR Module in Drivers Door, Pin 7
DOOR TRIGGER        WHITE (-) Drivers door and PINK (-) Passengers door use both and Diode isolate See DIAGRAM        @ BCM in DRIVERS KICK PANEL, Pins 62 and 12
FACTORY ALARM DISARM        DISARMS with UNLOCK, SINGAL Pulse
Houston,TX
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
use a digital multimeter and probe all wires before you connect them. You do have a risk of damaging the electrical system if you wire it wrong. As mentioned before, you dont need to find a authorized compustar store to get compustar installed, just a licensed or someone that knows aout alarms/rs
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I think that since this is your first alarm/RS, you should really take your time, a whole weekend if possible.
Here are some suggestions:
Since you aren't dealing with the easiest car to learn on, you should get some white tape that you can learn on.
Get yourself a DMM and test all of the wires. For example, your door triggers, test them a couple times. Once you are certain that the wire is correct, wrap the correct wire with some tape and write "DOOR TRIGGER" on the tape that you wrap around the correct wire. Do that for all of your wires. When you are ready, start making your connections. The Compustar comes with both positive and negative door trigger input wires. You will not use the positive wire, so you can cut that wire about 8"-10" inches from the brain and tape it up.
Once you're all done and everything is working great, take those pieces of tape off.
skn181 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks for all the replies. I spent around 5 hours yesterday stripping the interior (dash, seats, door panels) to give me room to work, but to also familarized myself with the wiring inside the car. I am using 3 different tech sheets and the factory service manual on my laptop, which I have beside me as I am doing everything. Today, I spent most of the evening wiring the doors, e-brake, trunk, and locks. It took me a while since I checked each wire 2-3 times with the multimeter before connecting them. I am also striving for clean wiring and connections. So far it is going pretty well. I have a few questions though:

- The compustar has an 'unlock' and '2nd Pulse unlock' wires. There are 2 light-blue unlock wires in the driver's door module of the 350z. Do I randomly tap one wire into each or is there a specific order?

- In the compustar installation guide, it shows Connection 2 of the compustar module as having: (-) status output, (-) Ignition output, (-) accessory output, and  (-) starter output. However, looking at my tech sheets, the ignition, accessory,  and starter wire all are (+) polarity on the 350z. So what do I do with connection 2? Do I use it at all?

- where do I connect the 'status output' to....  is it the clutch switch?

thank you for your help

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Send a (POS)+ start to the grey/red at the clutch switch. You also need to power up BOTH starter wires at the harness.

Status output is NOT used on the clutch.  I still say get some help. (in person)

skn181 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
- In the compustar installation guide, it shows Connection 2 of the compustar module as having: (-) status output, (-) Ignition output, (-) accessory output, and (-) starter output. However, looking at my tech sheets, the ignition, accessory, and starter wire all are (+) polarity on the 350z. So what do I do with connection 2? Do I use it at all?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic