icon

.187 quick disconnects for 12g wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

Where do you get .187 QD for 12g wire?  I've searched my local electronic supply wearhouse, but they only had .250  and bigger for female quick disconnects for 12g wire.

Thanks

Hardwarz

hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

BTW, I need this for my JBL subs.  They have a .187 QD, as does the adapter that is mounted in the box.  Heck, the Infinity Speakers I just installed had .187 QD too.

Hardwarz

hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

I realize that this is also in General, but after thinking about it, I realize it should be here in Audio.

Where do you get .187 QD for 12g wire?  I've searched my local electronic supply wearhouse, but they only had .250  and bigger for female quick disconnects for 12g wire.   I need this for my JBL subs.  They have a .187 QD, as does the adapter that is mounted in the box.  Heck, the Infinity Speakers I just installed had .187 QD too.

Hardwarz

hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

So, since there's no answers, am I to assume that everyone is using .250 female quick disconnect on the speakers?  Even when using 12g speaker wire?

Hardwarz

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well, no reason to run 12 guage. Take .87 remove the insulator, push a small philips screwdriver into the end to enlarge the opening. Insert wire and crimp or solder
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
I had found some online that are for 16 - 14 awg. I didn't save the web but you probably can do a search in your browser for 16 awg crimp connector with .187
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I've found .871 (3/16")  in 14-16g, but never in 10-12g.

So, am I to assume that there's no reason ever to buy 12g speaker cable and 16g will always be enough?

Hardwarz

hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, btw, I did modify the .871 and crimped it on the 12g wire.  It was good enough for me.

Hardwarz

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
16 AWG speaker cable is perfectly acceptable inside a vehicle. Even with a 2KW amp the distances are such you would loose very little.
crewwzin 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
16 AWG speaker cable is perfectly acceptable inside a vehicle. Even with a 2KW amp the distances are such you would loose very little.

I'm not quite sure I agree with this totally. I have had 16 AWG start to melt the insulation on a high wattage install before. I switched it out to 12 AWG and it played for years like that (until I took the system out of the vehicle).

That scenario aside, if I did agree with you, I would have already written a letter to the Pioneer, Alma Gates, Memphis ,etc SPL teams and let them know that they wasted all that money using 8 AWG in their SPL rigs. They could have been using 16 AWG this whole time! 

I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic