icon

hard wire gps to car?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foutong 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok so i ordered TomTom ONE 3rd and i have a 93 honda civic dx. all i want to do is wire the gps charger under the dash so it doesnt use up my cig lighter. and have it start charging when the car is on. is this a bad idea? i was thinking just wiring it to one of my ignition wires.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
All our installs of XM and Sirius are not through the lighter. We find an ignition source to hook it to so it doesn't take up the lighter and we hide the wires so as little shows as possible. You have to make sure to use a female plug end so you won't have to cut wire. That way you can use in a different vehicle later.
Ignition      BLACK / YELLOW        Ignition Switch Harness
Switched 12V+      Yellow/Red      At radio harness
use a factory ground bolt if you can find one or clear paint off a small piece of vehicle down to bare metal and use a self tapping screw with a soldered or crimp ring terminal to secure wire.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
Most of the time here, I will tap into the wires behind the cig. lighter. as usually it is a decent spot to find power & ground. Have never had a problem, & been doing it since I started installing, back when God was young & dirt was new lol
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
fknfbm 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever you do dont cut the male end off. Im not sure if the tom tom is 12v or not. Most all the new Sirius and XM's are 5-6v so if you try to just hardwire it in you can call it toast.
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, i solder wires onto the end of the units cig. plug, so no chance of messing up the unit by giving it a full 12V, & it still keeps it's little fuse.
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
kylecm85 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
yeah deff use the female end and the new tomtom is 6v im pretty sure so i would not cut it off and the easist place to find power is prob the radio or cig lighter thats always where i go when i hardwire dsr or gps.
autobot240 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
get a female cigarette lighter plug from best buy (its like 10 bucks), then plug the tomtoms cigarette plug in there, then hook the power to your radio's accessory and the ground to the ground
omrebel 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to do the same thing with my TomTom Gps.  I am glad I checked out this forum before I started hardwiring it myself.  I still need help though.  I want to be able to use the charger cord in another vehicle if necessary but want one to place out of site in my vehicle.  I have an older charger that was used with another GPS device that fits but I wanted to get some advice on whether I can use it from a voltage standpoint.  I know nothing about voltage so I need help.

The charger that came with the GPS says Input:  12/24v Output: 5V2A

The older charger I have says Input:  12-30v Output:  5.2V/2A

Can someone tell me if it is ok to use this older charger with the GPS unit?  I don't want to fry the thing.

Thanks in advance!

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

It should be OK, but if I were you I would contact TomTom about purchasing another charger.  You don't mention anything about polarity, and it is possible that they are backwards between the two chargers - something that will definately damage your unit.  Most 5vdc devices are typically rated to 5.5vdc max.

If you want to use the old charger at least hook it up and use a volt meter to measure what part of the plug is + and which one is - and compare it to the new charger.

Kevin Pierson
omrebel 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

Earlier in the thread a couple of posters said to buy a female cigarette plug.  I went to BestBuy and did not see one of these.  Can anyone explain exactly what I need and where to look?  I know the female end will accept the plug on the charger I have but what else is on this adapter?  Does it just go from female to another male or to two wires?  Is is something I will have to cut?

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic