icon

alpine type x speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagdrum 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 4:42 AM / IP Logged  
How are these speakers for sound quality? Are they worth the premium over the Type-R's? I am not talking about the subs, but the component speakers.
jersey_breeze 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
This is the route I am trying to go, My friend has them they sound amazing richer bass than type-r which is what I had.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Where can you get them? Crutchfield doesn't sell them, though they sell the Type-R's. No local shop around here that carries Alpine has any Type-R speakers in stock or on display.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, ment to say "No local shop that carries Alpine has any Type-X speakers in stock or on display"
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
I carry all the Alpine components and all the JL components. In every price range the JLs smoke the Alpines.
There is no such thing as free installation!
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
I carry all the Alpine components and all the JL components. In every price range the JLs smoke the Alpines.

"Smoke" in what sense? I am looking for SQ, not overly concerned with SPL. Do you have a website?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
And that's not greasy kid's stuff.
The JL's are WAY better sounding components, even the ZR's which use a metal dome tweeter, and I am not fond of MDTs. Step down to the VR's, and they are SPECTACULAR sounding gear! (I can't tell you WHY they would call it a "step down", though... I think they are a much better sounding setup, so a "step UP", in this reviewer's opinion.) The C5-650 uses the woofer from the ZR, and the tweeter from the VR, and a recommendation will come in from DYohn, who only recently purchased a set for his wife's car.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes in an SQ set up the VR components are a great value. Better sound then the Alpine X at about $150.00 less.
There is no such thing as free installation!
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
The thing is, I will have a Alpine PDX-4.100 which will be pushin 100 watts RMS to these speakers. The Alpines can handle 100 watts RMS but the VR series (specifically, the VR650-CSi) call for around 60 watts RMS. This is in a 1996 mark VIII with stock 5x7 components. Even if I went to the ZR570-CSi 5x7 components, they only call for 85 watts RMS. For all you experts out there, am I overthinkin this, or is pumpin more RMS watts to these speakers then they are rated for truely a bad idea? Also, how do the ZR series sound? I kinda like the added range of the 5x7 components, but they are only in the ZR series.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
tcss wrote:
And that's not greasy kid's stuff.
The JL's are WAY better sounding components, even the ZR's which use a metal dome tweeter, and I am not fond of MDTs. Step down to the VR's, and they are SPECTACULAR sounding gear! (I can't tell you WHY they would call it a "step down", though... I think they are a much better sounding setup, so a "step UP", in this reviewer's opinion.) The C5-650 uses the woofer from the ZR, and the tweeter from the VR, and a recommendation will come in from DYohn, who only recently purchased a set for his wife's car.

Quick question: MDT's? I assume Metal Dome Tweets? If so, what is the difference is sound from silk to MDT's? Also, are you recommending the C5 series stuff over the VR? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic