icon

amp gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mag63 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
No worries mate, I have moved it to the shed and will just try it and if all is good I will try to make something to mount the shut on...
What's next do you think?
I use to be confused but now I'm not so sure:)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Just turn the potentiometer you added to the point of maximum resistance.  put a battery on it and press the load switch.  Turn the pot untill the meter moves.   You may have to test a couple of known good batteries to see how the meter acts. 
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
Fantastic amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
There's no load switch on my chargeramp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image. that's ok as you are working on many things amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
Question on the toasted trim pot for the Volts gauge as it checks out with the multi-meter to be OK except for the burnt resistor which I'm having trouble finding, is it a special 1 as it's a colour that i'm not familiar with??
Thanks again...
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 5:11 AM / IP Logged  
Fired it up and amp gauge is no go and adjustment of the pot does nothingamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
The charger also is putting out 14.55v so it is working and this volts reading is from my multi-meter as I had to disconnect the volt gauge (just hooking the jumper leads up to an flat battery 2volts in it sent the volts needle slamming over to the stopamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
Ideasamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

That shunt looks awfully short.  The purpose of the shunt is to provide a voltage drop.  Thus being an 80 amp bar you may need to file a few notches in it order to give it less current capacity.  At one point you had said the meter was for the test function. I just assumed it was a stand alone tester.   No worries the circuitry is still the same for this.  Does it charge a battery?   Use your meter and monitor the voltage at the battery.  Do not leave it unattended.  Just read battery voltage and then charge it a few minutes and unhook and check it again.   There is a good chance that the volt meter is acting crazy because of the burnt potentiometer that controls it.  Have you ever seen a fuse element that looks like a lightning bolt?  That is the effect we are looking for on the shunt.  It may need to be longer than it is.  The longer it is the more voltage drop you can get across it.  The amp meter is just measuring the voltage drop across the shunt.  A little current, small voltage drop.  A lot of current a lot of voltage drop.

If the wires that go out the back are the wires that connect to the battery, the meter negative needs to be connected to the end of the shunt that is nearest the camera.

mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
The shunt is 2 inches long.
Yes it is charging at 14.55volts.
ever seen a fuse element that looks like a lightning bolt? No don't think so.
Yes the wires that go out the back are the wires that connect to the battery.
The meter negative needs to be connected to the end of the shunt that is nearest the camera. Will check right now...
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Since you have the 80 amp bus bar you may need to make it look like this fuse.   The thinner areas of metal will allow voltage drop.  With it being only 2 inches long and having the 80 amp capacity 40 amps of current will not be enough to get any voltage drop.

mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
mag63 wrote:
The shunt is 2 3/4 inches long.
Yes it is charging at 14.55volts.
ever seen a fuse element that looks like a lightning bolt? No don't think so.
Yes the wires that go out the back are the wires that connect to the battery.
The meter negative needs to be connected to the end of the shunt that is nearest the camera. Will check right now...
And Yes that's how it's connectedamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Since you have the 80 amp bus bar you may need to make it look like this fuse.   The thinner areas of metal will allow voltage drop. With it being only 2 inches long and having the 80 amp capacity 40 amps of current will not be enough to get any voltage drop.

Ha we both posted at the same timeamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
ok will make a new shunt like the fuse shown..
It will be later today as I'm off to see the Doc amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
And we will winamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image. Woo hoo it's working!!!
Well the shunt is done and no improvement amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
What's going on I think to my self??
I remember I have an old Sanpet engine analyzer in the cupboard and it has it's own shunt as it can measure Amps straight from the alternator and lots of other things amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
So I hooked that up and got volts but still NO amps, then I worked it out that the battery I'm trying to charge is stuffed!!
Now with no battery to charge what can I use(thinking) ha got it, 2 spot lights and a globe for a test and got 12.58 v and 9 AMPS amp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
Adjusted the pot and matched the chargers amp gauge to mine Fantastic!
I'll chase up a battery from a mate so I can do some real testing.
Next on the list can I get the same type of pot we used for the AMPS gauge to replace the fried trim pot on the Volts gauge???
Thanks 4 your support and for reading my bookamp gauge - Page 4 -- posted image.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic