icon

amp gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Cool glad you got it working.   You can try using the same pot.  The one you already have.  But I think you will need a 100K ohm pot for the voltage.  Reason being with the shunt we were dealing with several hundredths of a volt.  But I am not real sure, so try the pot you have and see how controllable it will be. 
mag63 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Cool glad you got it working.   You can try using the same pot. The one you already have. But I think you will need a 100K ohm pot for the voltage. Reason being with the shunt we were dealing with several hundredths of a volt. But I am not real sure, so try the pot you have and see how controllable it will be.
Hi thanks againamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Am going to the electronic shop in a few mins so I'll get both the 1k and the 100k, their only $1.90 eachamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Will try it later this afternoon...
Thanks mate..
I use to be confused but now I'm not so sure:)
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Cool glad you got it working.   You can try using the same pot. The one you already have. But I think you will need a 100K ohm pot for the voltage. Reason being with the shunt we were dealing with several hundredths of a volt. But I am not real sure, so try the pot you have and see how controllable it will be.
Mate you're a amp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
No it didn't like the 1k so put the 100k pot in and the meter is within half a volt across the range compared to my digital multi-meteramp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image. amp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Now just have to get a battery to charge and monitor the shunt and gaugesamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Out of curiosity what's involved replacing both analog gauges with 2 digit each digital displysamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Also when do you stop for the Xmas break??
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Probably not much involved to change to digital.  A digital amp meter will already be calibrated to the shunt that comes with it.  A digital volt meter needs no calibration either.  The only problem may be a steady 12 volt supply to power the electronics of the meters.  A battery charger is usually noisy (electronically).  They also put out a bit more than 12 volts.  This may damage a solid state meter.   You may have to get a 12 volt supply and mount it inside the charger to power the meters.  Check current consumption of the meters to determine how much current the supply needs to provide.   Break for Christmas?   I guess Friday at about Noon.  Then back to work on Wednesday.  
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Probably not much involved to change to digital. A digital amp meter will already be calibrated to the shunt that comes with it. A digital volt meter needs no calibration either. The only problem may be a steady 12 volt supply to power the electronics of the meters. A battery charger is usually noisy (electronically). They also put out a bit more than 12 volts. This may damage a solid state meter.   You may have to get a 12 volt supply and mount it inside the charger to power the meters. Check current consumption of the meters to determine how much current the supply needs to provide.   Break for Christmas?   I guess Friday at about Noon. Then back to work on Wednesday.
Hi, I wont change the meters just a thought.amp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image. but it would look goodamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
Well I have enjoyed doing this, both the chat and learning from someone who knows what their doingamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
If I don't catch you before your bit of time off work have a Good Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Cheers Markamp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.   amp gauge - Page 5 -- posted image.
and to the 12volt.com gang..
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic