icon

suggestions alarm r/s nissan maxima 04

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
juan05 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
im looking to install an alarm r/s on a nissan maxima 04. im looking for the best and Easiest way to do it.Any suggestions on what i alarm i should buy? Thanks
Everyday u learn something new
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

the best alarm is no specific brand. An alarm is only as good as the install.

The easiest way is to have a professional do it. Now you can tackle the DIY, but anything name brand wise such as DEI, compustar, autopage, avox/prestige, are all equally hard to install if you have no basic electrical knowledge.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
juan05 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for your reply, i do i have done alarms r/s before.I just came on this site trying to see if someone could give me some advice as i have read installers giving some pointers in other post. Is this site not ment to help people out with their install?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yes but you have to decide what you want, all the above named brands are good product, none of them really encourage DIY installation, you're on your own there. We will advise you to the best of our knowledge but we won't hold your hand or spoon feed you.
Incidentally in the real world the best is rarely the easiest.
juan05 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hey howie thanks for taking time to answer. I understand that no one can hold my hand and go wire per wire with me. All i was asking for was advice on a good alarm and module for this car. I know some modules require less work then others i just wanted to hear some suggestions. Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry sir, it doesn't change the fact that Tedmund has given you a good answer, we can't advise one over the other, for us they're easy, but then we know beforehand what does what etc. All the decent brands require extremely similar amounts of work with similar outside components such as a by-pass or extra sensors.
If one brand stood out in terms of easy install and reliability, there'd only be one name in Tedmund's answer. Remember we don't know your technical proficiency, have you soldered in a car before? Do you own the right tools, a DMM etc. etc.
juan05 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes i have solderd in side a car before i have the right tools. I just wanted to hear some advice from someone who has done one of these before. I have read a lot of forums where someone asks for advice on a type of module they should use or alarm and guys help them out with suggestions. I want to do this install myself rather then to pay 600 bucks. I feel like i can do this install if not i wouldnt risk messing up my car . But again thanks for ur advice.
mpe235 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
As far as bypasses go the 556u is probably the easiest to install. It will require an extra key which can be a little expensive. The xk07 is also a pretty easy install and doesn't require the use of a key. You can usually find the 556u on ebay for less than $20. The xk07 is $30 to $45 on ebay.
Nissan Master Tech.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

the fortin keyoverride all is a very easy bypass to hook up.

i prefer compustar units, but thats just my preferance.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2010 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  

I'll chip in here as a DIY guy.  OK, a Professional DIY guy. I'll try most anything for a challenge, but can admit when I over my head.

I like the Viper 5301 rs and the Viper 5701 rs/alarm.  (Python 580, 872, and Clifford 1.3 and 3.3, same thing different name.) I have installed them both in my vehicles and like the features of these systems. Granted, since I installed them my self, there is on warranty from DEI.  I first had a Viper 571xv which was fine, but I thought the range was a bit short compared to the LE series and the having to press a combination of buttons was too confusing for the wife.  Also, that first install was a disaster. I used scotchlocks, did not solder a thing, tried to do it  while watching the Vikings get killed, and had my head up my  A**.

Tedmond pointed me in the direction of the Fortin bypass and I love them. Just gotta pay attention to what you are doing. ie, test/verify  EVERY wire. And then double check it.

Do your research for your vehicle and use the search feature of this site. Chances are some one has already asked the same question, ie, wire for rear window defrost, relays and door locks.

Take you time. Plan on an entire week-end for this. Read the manuals that come with the unit.  Thats my 2 cents. (pence for you Howie). lol

And if you find the info from this site helpful, please donate to keep it going.  My plug for the the12volt.com.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic