remote start on a 1996 1998 jeep gc?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
camaro16 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
All the wires were black, can't remember a unit behind the glovebox, I wasn't adding anything, just removing the alarm. If a starter cut then it's pretty easy to chase the wires and rejoin then test then kill it's power or remove it.
to satisfy Thatcham at the time, all black wiring, metal case, either cable tied or bolted down, 4 wires for 2 cuts, starter and ignition or fuel line,12V+ constant, 12V+ ignition, 2 x grounds (earths) actually EVERY Cat ll immobiliser was wired this way, just trace and test and remove.

Yep, the guy from M&S mentioned that all the wires would be black - but said that (on my year at least, 1998), all they added was a starter cut. Perhaps all the rest was already present on the US installed alarm/immob, and thus no need for the other cuts? Feel free to call me an idiot if that's a daft idea!

It does seem there were quite a few changes on these alarms through the years - if it turns out to be as simple as tracking down all the wires from the M&S unit I'll be delighted, but the fact that they have 2x 24 pin connectors, 2x 4 pin connectors, and one other connector on their alarm unit (can't attach pictures yet and am at work so can't access photobucket), makes me think there may be more to it than that on my 1998 unit?

camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

I should mention that I have the build sheet for the Jeep, and the only things I can see on it that may be related to security (possibly as part of an option pack, etc) are as below -

ABBA European Equipment Group

ABES Export Equipment Group
ABUA United Kingdom Equipment Group
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
YABS Build To Export Mkt. Specifications
4YBA Export Option Requirements

camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

Well, as a quick update - I finally managed to buy a 455T from Ebay for $5! Plus 3 times that in shipping.

So I should be covered for all angles - Expect more questions soon, and thanks all for your help so fat!

camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Duh - so FAR, not so fat!remote start on a 1996 1998 jeep gc? - Page 2 -- posted image.
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

To add to this, can anyone reccomend a reasonably cheap, simple remote start to go with my new 455t? I don't need anything fancy - no alarm, no immob, as they are taken care of by the factory equipment. I'm happy to import from the US to the UK - boosting your economy here guys!remote start on a 1996 1998 jeep gc? - Page 2 -- posted image. 

All I really need is a r/s with as long a range as possible (I work in a steel framed/concrete floored office, auto-dimming glass, 2 floors up, 500+ people so fairly large car park), some indication that my Jeep has started - whether by a 2-way remote or just parking lights coming on that I can go to a window and see, and keyless entry.

The 455T should help out here, as all it really needs is a (-) from the starter module to disarm the factory alarm/immob so the Jeep can be started, it'll work the locks, etc. through the Databus.

I've looked at these two so far, but they still seem to have a lot more than I need - http://www./itm/Ultrastart-1280-XR-PRO-2800-Foto-Range-Remote-Start-System-With-Slim-Remotes-/300679280468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601e1b754

http://www./itm/Ultrastart-U1280TL-XR-PRO-2800-Foot-Car-Remote-Starter-Keyless-Entry-Ultra-Start-/300632443594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff170aca&vxp=mtr

And have read (older) good reports on Ultrastart reliability - but they are a bit more than I actually need! I have a Ready Remote 24921 already, in it's box and unused, and it would be fine except for the limited range.

Would anyone care to suggest something, or should I just go with an Ultrastart basic model and leave the unwanted features disconnected?

Your opinions much appreciated.

camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Apologies, please free to delete Ebay links if they are not allowed. They are for an Ultrastart 1280 XR Pro, and an Ultrastart 1280 Pro. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to post Ebay links.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
A word of advice, or two buying electronics from fleabay? I don't think so, too many horror stories.
Second Ultrastart is an "unknown" don't go cheap you'll spend more long term.
There are much more reliable/known quality products available in the US, Compustar, Avox/Prestige/Code, DEI (Clifford, Viper etc.), Autopage.
Just one look at the Ultrastart remotes tells me all I want to know.
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

Something not to do then! I just want a simple remote start that'll give my 455T a (-) when I click to start - any brand in particular you would reccomend?

l Bearing in mind it needs to have a long range!

Cheers for your advice

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
All the above mentioned.
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
Many thanks! I shall have a look to see what's available. I take it any of them will have a negative "disarm" output to feed to my 455t? I've fitted plenty of alarms and one remote start before, but not via an interface!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic