icon

remote start on a 1996 1998 jeep gc?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
ALL of them, known as Ground While Running(GWR) or status output.
camaro16 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
Great, thanks!
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry to be an absolute pain of a newbie, but I have been looking at all the remote start modules on the net and my mind is frazzled.

Could someone reccomend me a remote start or three to take a closer look at, based on the following criteria, in order? The remote start I fitted before was to an old VW golf Mk2, and took about two hours to fit - some of these ones look like they could take me days!

1) Range - this is critical if I am to start the car without leaving the comfort of my office. I'm thinking over a thousand feet, are reputable manufacturers range quotes reasonably accurate for "open air" conditions, or should I take them with a hefty pinch of salt?

2) Price - I don't want to spend a fortune on a remote start, though I realise it can be transferred to another car in the future. I don't mind if it dies after two years, I doubt the Jeep will with the treatment it gets! Something available in the UK wou;d be a bonus, but not crucial by any means.

3) Simplicity - I'll be wiring this through a 455T as mentioned, and simply do not need all the fancy features that so many of these r/s kits have. All I need is a lock/unlock button, compatibility with the 455T, and a button to start/stop the engine. Anything else is pretty much superflous to me - I just want to get into a warm car in the winter, and a cold one in the summer!

Many thanks to all, particularly Howie - you're a star!remote start on a 1996 1998 jeep gc? - Page 3 -- posted image.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
For technical reasons too involved to go into nothing on sale in the UK will give you the range. Come to think of it did you mention a steel framed office building with tinted glass, forget it, 50 feet if you're lucky.
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2012 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
For technical reasons too involved to go into nothing on sale in the UK will give you the range. Come to think of it did you mention a steel framed office building with tinted glass, forget it, 50 feet if you're lucky.

Very good to know, Howie - I presume it's related to our allocated freqyuency band? I will ignore the range claims made by the manufacturers, then!

camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Howie , I was thinking of getting an Avital 4103 - from what I have read it gets good reviews. I think it has all the outputs my 455T needs - as a reasonably cheap remote start, would you say yay or nay? And  is there a difference between the US version, and the UK version, in terms of range etc. ?

I know I can wire it in myself with no probems, just wondering if it is an OK R/S to use, and if the US version may have a longer range than the UK one?

Cheers,

Patrick.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Avital is the entry level, it lacks sufficient aux outputs for window closers etc. Not good range, the US version is the same as the UK, actually cheaper here. Not recommended for the above reasons, go for a Viper, 5904 if you're buying from the US but if you're buying from fleabay, remember no warranty or technical backups.
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, I thought Avital was well reviewed - but I'll take your word over any Amazon buyer! I don't need window closure or anything else, are the Vipers that much better to pay the extra? I bought the whole Jeep for £500, it seems sensible to pay as little as possible for a r/s with good range etc, but you clearly really know your stuff - are Viper a lot better? 
camaro16 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Christ on a bike, that Viper is half the cost of my jeep!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Actually it's extremely complicated and too late at night to get into, basically Compustar, Autopage, Audivox are all highly rated by installers, unfortunately only DEI, Clifford and Viper are available in the UK.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic