the12volt.com spacer
icon

Install Wiring - Status Output Wire & Hello

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayson wonder 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2015 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder
Just waiting on my relays to arrive so I can start this. I cannot get to the junkyard until the weekend so I ordered online. Sure hope it gets here before weekend.
jayson wonder 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2015 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder
Hey,
It took me 2 weeks to get my relays shipped. wow. I should have just went to the junk yard as you mentioned. Anyway. I am now going to start the wiring of relays, etc. I probably will not get as far as installing anything in the car tonight but hopefully tomorrow after work.
One additional question pertaining to the lovely diagram you gave me..... The purpose of cutting the ACC wire that connects to the radio/stereo and reconnecting in this way.. I just do not get the reason and result.
Thanks in advance mate!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2015 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
It doesn't matter to be honest,just don't use the orange.
jayson wonder 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2015 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder

howie ll wrote:
It doesn't matter to be honest,just don't use the orange.

Hey Howie,

I do not want to be a pest but I am now a little confused. You say don't use the orange but in the diagram I see that it is the purble that is cut and it looks like it is connected to the orange.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Don't cut the purple it's already fed from the first main relay on the left.
Join orange as originally.
You need that factory purple to:-
a) Act as an ACC (the orange from the unit).
b) Be fed during the start cycle (1st. of the 4 main relays).
jayson wonder 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder
Well I managed to wire everything up as per the diagram. Unfortunately I am not yet tasting success but I sure am learning a lot thanks to you.
I am not sure what is wrong yet. It does not start so I started basic trouble shooting and noticed my battery voltage was down a bit since the car has been siting so I a thought I would charge it up more just as a precaution.
I am thinking maybe it is the bypass module 556u as the power seems to be getting where it should. It may be a bad relay. I am pretty much learning as I go so I am studying the diagram to find out what I should check / test. What kind of signals I should be looking for. If you have any thoughts being a pro please share with me and I will push through this.
Also I have to connect the brown to my clutch pedal control switch as it is a manual tranny and that had 3 wires, a brown, blue and violet. Brown is ground I think and since the starter module wire is brown I connected there. Again maybe a rookie move... What do you think
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2015 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Didn't know there was a clutch switch back then, actually never seen a manual BMW in England!
See if it starts with out pushing the clutch down, if not get your meter out, ignition on, see what happens when you push the clutch down. If nothing, try with the starter engaged (crank) you're watching for a change in status on the blue and violet, either POS or NEG, another relay to emulate that.
Once sorted bad relays, more chance of winning the lottery!
Again with DMM, test the outputs from your PTS, then the inputs and outputs from your relays.
jayson wonder 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder

howie ll wrote:
Didn't know there was a clutch switch back then, actually never seen a manual BMW in England!
See if it starts with out pushing the clutch down, if not get your meter out, ignition on, see what happens when you push the clutch down. If nothing, try with the starter engaged (crank) you're watching for a change in status on the blue and violet, either POS or NEG, another relay to emulate that.
Once sorted bad relays, more chance of winning the lottery!
Again with DMM, test the outputs from your PTS, then the inputs and outputs from your relays.

Yeah, won't start with clutch up or down. I will be testing the clutch blue and violet for status as you suggest. SO just to be clear, the brown module wire on the original diagram was going to brake. This still goes to clutch still correct and must I do a relay? Can you explain what or how to corectly wite this relay up and attach to the existing setup.

I am also thinking that an issue could exist between the EWS bypass and starter but not yet able to confirm.

Thanks, this is work..

jayson wonder 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jayson wonder
Here is a bit of an update. Still trying to track down the issues. This it the diagram with the EWS and clutch added.
Install Wiring - Status Output Wire & Hello - Page 3 -- posted image.
My notes probably won't show up but here is where I am:
I am not getting power to my PTS module and start button does not light so there is an issue I am checking for now.
Orange ACC tied in to ACC ignition after the relay still seems to not make sense, I think redundant which is what you were trying to tell me earlier...
White has no power at all, I suspect as a result from PTS module not sending signal out
Clutch / brake wire may not be correct at clutch pedal switch harness. Still trying to figure out what the PTS module wants to see.
I am learning a lot so again thanks for your time. I will owe you several beers once I get this done.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2015 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I think the PTS module ends to see the bin!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic