1999 jeep cherokee, alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harrisell1 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Everyone,

I'm installing a RS 860 LCD on a 99 Jeep Cherokee Classic and I'm looking for the neutral safety wire, it's location and the wire color.  Thank you in advance.

electronics
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  

if the neutral safety switch is located AFTER the shifter, no need to connect it. simply ground the wire from the rs. If before, I can't help you, none of my sources statet your vehicle requires it.

if you are concerened for possible liability issues do the following...

once the rs system is fully installed...put the car in drive and see if it starts with the remote. Of course be in the vehicle..make sure there is plenty of safe room in front of you for the vehicle to surge forward. be prepared to step on the brake in case.

If the vehicle does not move,,all is safe.

If it surges forward..you need to repost if anyone else knows how to do the neutral safety switch in you  vehicle as I do not have that info at hand.

good luck

harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
ok, thanks I knew i could just ground it, I was trying to to go a step further.
electronics
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed, can't hurt to be "too" safe.

By "after the shifter" I meant as long as the remote start crank wire is connected before where the neutral safety switch is you are safe, the RS unit can not start the vehicle unless in park or neutral.

If the opposite is true there is a concern. Although the remote is on your keychain, and on a vehicle that is operating correctly you can't remove the key unless the vehicle is in park, it is not something that can easily happen by accident.

But I will always lean towards safety first as if something is possible to go wrong, that means there is always a chance.

Perform the test I posted if you can't find any info about your vehicles NSS and post if it starts, We can take it from there.

Good Luck

harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks again.
electronics
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,  I'm installing a rs 860 on my 99 jeep cherokee and I want the back up lights to come on when the alarm is triggered but I would like to know if I can get them to flash alternately from the park lights.  If so could I connect a relay to the white wire on the module to the back up lights wire and do I need a diode (if so what size) or will the relay serve as an isolater. Thanks again in advance.
electronics
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, here's my new question.  Can I connected the back up lights to the park lights output wire( along with the park lights) with a relay without burning out that output.  I want the back ups to flash with the park lights.

electronics
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
given that the backup lights are the same polarity as your parking lights, you should be able to use a relay to isolate the two wires to turn on at the same time without interfering with each other.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
You will have to use two relays and wire it up like you would for a European car with dual parking light circuits.
harrisell1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
How would you wire it up European car style.
electronics
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic